Dixit» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ties and points above 30? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Welborn
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
My family-which-takes-games-way-too-seriously had an argument about this tonightshake:

Blue player has 28 points. Red player has 27 points, and is the active player. All other players have 20 points.

Blue player correctly guesses red player's card. Nobody guesses blue's card. Blue and red should each receive 3 points.

There are only 30 places on the cardboard scoreboard for the bunny tokens to move on.

Who wins, and with how many points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the base game, the game technically ends when the last card is drawn. The rules don't mention a 30 point limit, they simply say to move forward whenever you get points, with the player farthest ahead declared the winner. It is certainly possible to have more than 30 points under the base game rules, so the fact that no restriction is mentioned should be read to imply that the bunnys continue on the track.

The expansions change the rules to make the game end when one player reaches 30 points, but again declare the player with the most points the winner (rather than any players who have reached the 30-point space). In conjunction with the base game rules, I would assume that you continue to count points beyond 30. Admittedly, it is not explicit, but that seems to be the most natural reading of the English text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue gets 3 and goes to 31. Red gets 3 and goes to 30. Blue wins.

I don't quite know what Red would be hoping for. That the track stops at 30 and there's a tie for the win? Or that all players win who manage to score 30 points? Both of those interpretations of the rules seem somewhat artificial to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it seems a pretty common boardgame & score track convention that you simply go around for another lap on a score track if someone hits the last space, rather than there being some unmentioned maximum possible score with all excess points being lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
emptyset wrote:

I don't quite know what Red would be hoping for. That the track stops at 30 and there's a tie for the win? Or that all players win who manage to score 30 points? Both of those interpretations of the rules seem somewhat artificial to me.

Dixit with blackjack scoring: closest to 30 without going over
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.