Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Some help with expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I picked this up a month or so, and have played it 3 times so far. It’s good, we definitely enjoy it enough to want to add to it, but with Mansions 2nd Edition, Elder Sign and the new Arkham LCG all in the house, it’s not going to get played enough to make it worth buying up all the expansions.

So far all our games have been 2 player (me and my wife), and that’s likely to be the case most of the time. We played the first 2 games with 1 investigator each, but having switched to 2 each, 4 in total for our most recent game, I can’t imagine going back to just 1 any time soon.

I’m going to start with Forsaken Lore. We’ve already noticed that we keep running into the same location-specific encounters, and this seems to do the most to bulk out those decks. (Also, I’ve read enough threads on here to know that if I said I wasn’t going to get Forsaken Lore first, any other questions I have would get buried under a tide of arguments for why I should get that).

Despite having made that decision, there’s still a couple of things I’m unclear on.

I understand that Forsaken Lore also adds new Mysteries/Encounters for the Old Ones from the Core Game. When later expansions introduce new Old Ones, do they have the same number of cards as the core-box-only Old Ones, or do they have more, putting them on a par with Core+Forsaken old ones?

After Forsaken Lore, I’m probably looking at getting one more box. I’m currently leaning towards Mountains of Madness, simply because it has the most of the investigators I’m still missing across the Arkham games generally. That said, I’m not over-keen on the idea of the side boards, and it’s a fairly pricey thing to get just for a handful of extra investigators. Does Mountains of Madness offer enough if I’m not really planning on using the extra board, to make it worth getting?

Beyond that, if there’s anything people think I’m likely to have missed about the expansions that make them particularly worth getting / avoiding, I’d be interested to know. We expect to lose fairly often in Lovecraft (so far we’ve won 1 out of 3, which is a ratio we’d probably be happy with long-term), but we don’t have any particular desire to make things excessively difficult for ourselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mightyjim wrote:

I understand that Forsaken Lore also adds new Mysteries/Encounters for the Old Ones from the Core Game. When later expansions introduce new Old Ones, do they have the same number of cards as the core-box-only Old Ones, or do they have more, putting them on a par with Core+Forsaken old ones?

They have more, putting them on a par with Core + Forsaken Lore

Mightyjim wrote:

After Forsaken Lore, I’m probably looking at getting one more box. I’m currently leaning towards Mountains of Madness, simply because it has the most of the investigators I’m still missing across the Arkham games generally. That said, I’m not over-keen on the idea of the side boards, and it’s a fairly pricey thing to get just for a handful of extra investigators. Does Mountains of Madness offer enough if I’m not really planning on using the extra board, to make it worth getting?

Mountains of Madness gives you 2 AOOs, one of which can be played without the sideboard. It also gives you focus tokens, 8 new investigators, a lot of unique asset cards, and new cards for each of the standard decks (mythos, assets, spells, conditions, etc.)

Mightyjim wrote:

Beyond that, if there’s anything people think I’m likely to have missed about the expansions that make them particularly worth getting / avoiding, I’d be interested to know. We expect to lose fairly often in Lovecraft (so far we’ve won 1 out of 3, which is a ratio we’d probably be happy with long-term), but we don’t have any particular desire to make things excessively difficult for ourselves.

Later expansions (Pyramids, Lost Carcosa) have impairment tokens (the opposite of improvement tokens) and some nasty mythos cards to go with them. Arguably, this increases difficulty. So if you want to keep things a bit easier, you may want to go with Forsaken Lore and Mountains of Madness.

Note: Forsaken Lore makes things harder overall, while Mountains of Madness makes them easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mightyjim wrote:
When later expansions introduce new Old Ones, do they have the same number of cards as the core-box-only Old Ones, or do they have more, putting them on a par with Core+Forsaken old ones?

The latest expansion's Old One included 8 mysteries!

Mightyjim wrote:
Does Mountains of Madness offer enough if I’m not really planning on using the extra board, to make it worth getting?

Yes I think so. I am not overly fond of the sideboards either but I bought all the expansions just for the other stuff. The sideboard expansions all come with 2 Old Ones, one which needs the sideboard and one that can be used without it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mightyjim wrote:
When later expansions introduce new Old Ones, do they have the same number of cards as the core-box-only Old Ones, or do they have more, putting them on a par with Core+Forsaken old ones?
They have more, putting them on a par with Core+Forsaken old ones.

Mightyjim wrote:
Does Mountains of Madness offer enough if I’m not really planning on using the extra board, to make it worth getting?
If you "throw away" everything that depends on the sideboard, then you'll be left with amount of content that's similar to what you'll find in a small box.
And you can get two small boxes for the price of one big box.
So, if you're not planning to use the sideboard, then any big box is a choice inferior to any small box.

Mightyjim wrote:
Beyond that, if there’s anything people think I’m likely to have missed about the expansions that make them particularly worth getting / avoiding, I’d be interested to know.
Me and my wife consider Strange Remnants to be far better than any other expansion so far. I feel a bit of sick today so I can't offer you extended writeup about the reasons, but you might stumble upon it in other "what to buy" threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forsaken Lore is pretty vital to the longevity of the game, increasing the replay-ability of the base AOs. The AOs in the expansions come with content comparable to or greater than the expanded AOs from base game + Foresaken Lore.

I share your hesitation to add side boards, because the game is already so expansive. On top of that, the AOs from the big box expansions seem to be fairly easy and/or not thought highly of in some reviews I've read.

My personal approach to expanding the game was to buy the three small boxes: Forsaken Lore, Strange Remnants, and Signs of Carcosa. This gives me the base AOs fleshed out, Yigg, Syzygy, and Hastur. Forgotten Remnants also adds Focus (a great mechanical addition to the game) if you don't want to go with Mountains of Madness due to its size.

The other cards nicely bulk up the decks and increase replay-ability by adding variety to the items and encounters. This all fits into the base box while bagged and in the organizer I bought off Etsy recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Hristov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
PJH01 wrote:
Forsaken Lore is pretty vital to the longevity of the game, increasing the replay-ability of the base AOs. The AOs in the expansions come with content comparable to or greater than the expanded AOs from base game + Foresaken Lore.

I share your hesitation to add side boards, because the game is already so expansive. On top of that, the AOs from the big box expansions seem to be fairly easy and/or not thought highly of in some reviews I've read.

My personal approach to expanding the game was to buy the three small boxes: Forsaken Lore, Strange Remnants, and Signs of Carcosa. This gives me the base AOs fleshed out, Yigg, Syzygy, and Hastur. Forgotten Remnants also adds Focus (a great mechanical addition to the game) if you don't want to go with Mountains of Madness due to its size.

The other cards nicely bulk up the decks and increase replay-ability by adding variety to the items and encounters. This all fits into the base box while bagged and in the organizer I bought off Etsy recently.

I'm a sucker for the game and have bought everything so far (but I don't have any other lovecraft-set game, yet) and I will probably get the Dreamlands as well.
That being said, I agree with you, especially if you're not playing that often / don't have enough space to store.

I like the AOs from Under the Pyramids but the impairment token is kind of a pain.
Either way, the only expansion that I find an absolute must is Forsaken Lore - Yig is a great challenge (nasty bastard), the new mysteries for the base gods practically complete them and the extra encounters for the locations bring about more replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I join the general chorus that the small boxes are a better value. It's not so much that Mountains and Pyramids are bad, but the sideboards don't enlarge the EH world the way sideboards enlarged AH, and any of the expansions have enough to recommend them that it doesn't make a lot of sense to start with the expensive cumbersome ones. Plus, with Dreamlands coming out early 2017, it makes sense to wait for that before you make your big box choice - it looks like it might integrate with the rest of the game better than UtP and MoM. Now that I think about it, it's kind of hilarious that I find it too "unrealistic" that Investigators using MoM can travel easily to Antarctica, but I'm totally okay with them being able to go to the Underworld and the Moon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
The real beauty of this game is that all of the expansions provide content that can (and should) be freely mixed in with the rest of the game and left there. The "all-in" approach suits this game wonderfully and makes each and every game different in so many good ways.

There are of course, Ancient One specific cards, side-boards, side-board encounter decks, prelude cards, and specific expedition decks that you might not use every game, but all of the other extras added by each expansion just make the game more enjoyable.

Forsaken Lore adds to the Base game, and probably does make it slightly more difficult, whilst the other expansions add more variety and balance, but I am certain that most people who play have either added, or plan to add, all of the expansions "all-in".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.