Cdr Jameson
United Kingdom
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you only had to pick one:

???

I love games on the heavier side but i like mostly everything I've played from patchwork to ASL. Favourite games are labyrinth (GMT), Xia, Age of Empires, Twilight Struggle, Shadows of Brimstone, Blood Bowl, Fields of Fire, Ambush, and I'm just getting into some coin games (Fire in the Lake and Falling Sky) Quite an eclectic mix...

I really didn't like...Tokkaido (despite the theme being right up my street) and Blood Rage has been a bit hit and miss, loved it one time but that was down to the other players' enjoyment, the rest of my plays have been a bit swingy.

I've been thinking about buying D-day at Peleliu, Great Western Trail, Terraforming Mars and Trajan for my Christmas present. (Just one) last month I thought I was definitely going to get Captain Sonar but not sure how often I could get all 8 seats filled.

Really torn, not sure which to get and I'm sure there's a whole ton of games that I could also consider. My game group mainly chooses lighter games but there's always one or two who stay behind for a heavy game at the end of an evening/morning

Solitaire rules are important but not essential.

Help me choose... I've got to write my letter to the big guy soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terraforming Mars and Leaving Earth are very fun solo. I would think they would be pretty good multiplayer as well.

Cry Havoc I haven't played, but from reading the rules and watching videos, while not exactly like Blood Rage, it seems to be in that same vein, so if Blood Rage is hit or miss, it's possible Cry Havoc would be as well. Trajan I've played before and it's alright, but it never grabbed me much. The theme is there but doesn't mesh well, the manacala mechanism doesn't gel, and it feels like sometimes you're playing two different games with the movement board and the rest of the game.

Not familiar with the other 3.

out of what you have I would pick CH (I Like Blood Rage a lot), LE, TM, and if I needed a 4th, Great Western Trail because it sounds interesting and I'd take a flyer on it.

Good luck though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terraforming Mars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big + for Leaving Earth and D-Day.

Leaving Earth is a superb solo game. I like it a lot. And if you dive into the theme you can write stories about the game.

I haven't played Peleliu but Tarawa and I liked it pretty much. In the end I sold it and bought Enemy Action: Ardennes instead (more my theater than pacific) but the system is pretty cool, so I feel confident recommending a game I haven't played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.