Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Three greatest chess players ever: Bobby Fischer, Mikhail Tal, and Victor Korchnoi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently doing my first play of Hitler Turns East and have figured out most of the rules but the Russian Replacements is still confusing. shake

My big question is this: do the Russian receive no replacements if the Germans do not capture any VP cities? Or would the Russians receive the maximum number of replacements each turn if the Germans have not captured any VP cities? As I read it this seems to be the case so what happens to all those destroyed reinforcements?

The other thing is do VP towns not count? In the rules (and the errata) the rules specifically say only cities.

I am confused by this as there are very few VP cities north of the Pripyat Marshes so if AGS gets off to a bad start the Germans may not capture any VP cities on the first two turns this no Russian replacements are placed on the track.

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lem Tohver
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi Tim,

Quote:
My big question is this: do the Russian receive no replacements if the Germans do not capture any VP cities? Or would the Russians receive the maximum number of replacements each turn if the Germans have not captured any VP cities? As I read it this seems to be the case so what happens to all those destroyed reinforcements?

Replacements arrive as per the number available on the Turn Record Track (i.e 2 on Turn 3). The Soviet player gets to add an eliminated army onto the Turn track (additional replacement) to come back whenever one of the Soviet's VP cities is captured for the first time. These are in addition to the replacements received from the points made available. You place these replacements on the turn track, starting from turn 3 on-wards and when a particular turn reaches the "Maximum" number of replacement units in its turn box, any additional replacements (due to VP city loss for the first time) are put into the next turn's box. See the example below rule which shows that you always have to leave replacement space on the turn to use the replacement points. When German's capture VP cities on turns 1 and 2, the Soviets can place 2 eliminated armies in the turn 3 box, and then 2 more into turn 4 box (Each time leaving 2 spots open for spending the regular alotment of replacement points (2 in each turn). I hope this helps to clarify this for you.

Quote:
The other thing is do VP towns not count? In the rules (and the errata) the rules specifically say only cities.

See Rule 3.2. I think it details VP winning clearly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Three greatest chess players ever: Bobby Fischer, Mikhail Tal, and Victor Korchnoi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lem,
Thanks for the quick answer. I wasn't getting the VP units were extra above and beyond the normal allotment.
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim / Lem: I just played this game for the first time myself with my buddy Bob and we really enjoyed it. But I agree with Tim - the section on Russian Replacements needs to be re-written .... it is confusing as Hell. Only with thoughtful reconstruction were we able to piece together the logic of that rule. Nowhere is it stated that the Russians get a certain number of armies as replacements each turn .... it's only implied by the use of the word "minimum". It is also never clear that "additional" replacement armies can be added through the capture of VP cities/towns .... again, it's only implied. We played it completely wrong the first time through, so I hope that new players check this out before starting their first game. Otherwise the game is very well conceived and presented.

However, one other question that came up with Russian Counterattacks while I'm at it .... do Russian units that can't possibly contact a German unit (again, we assumed that "contact" means "move adjacent to") still have to move as far as they can toward the nearest enemy unit? We assumed not, as making a Russian unit in, for example, Moscow move towards the front early in the game makes no practical sense.

Thanks!

Hermann

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.