Jason Thomas
msg tools
mbmb
I am just starting to think about buying the evolution games and want to understand clearly to save money. Is it best to just buy the Climate Base set. Or is it better to buy the 2nd edition of evolution and then buy the conversion kit? Is there anything you miss out on by buying the climate base set and not buying the 2nd edition of evolution?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Smith

Brunswick
Maine
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your simplest and most cost-effective option is to purchase only the Evolution: Climate base set. This one box will give you all of the cards and components required to play either the base game, or the fuller 'Climate' version. When you play the base version like this you will simply remove certain cards from the cards used in the game, and also ignore one set of symbols on the remaining cards. North Star Games / Dominic have done an excellent job of making the gameplay and set-up very smooth if you do this.

The only real difference you would notice by purchasing the base Evolution game and adding the Climate conversion kit would be graphical:
a) the base game comes with an attractive "watering hole", placed in the center of the game space. The Climate game (or kit) comes with a Climate board, which replaces the watering hole. If you play a basic game of Evolution but do not own / choose to use the base game's watering hole, you use the Climate board in its stead. To be clear, either one is simply a beautiful piece of cardboard which serves as a place to put a pile of tokens (food) during play of the base game. Thus, when playing the base game, it's purely an aesthetic difference. When playing a Climate game, you will need the Climate board - it offers additional indicators used in that version of the game.
2) Cards: if you were to purchase base + Climate conversion kit, you would end up with some redundant cards. Climate reuses the cards from the base set as well as adding new ones. However, the gameplay of Climate requires that many cards need additional icons on them to play properly; thus, those cards are re-printed with the new Climate icons, and included in the conversion kit. You would replace your base set cards with these new versions when playing Climate. The only benefit to having both sets would again be aesthetic - when you choose to play the base game alone, you would have the option to use only cards without the Climate symbols if you purchased base game + climate conversion kit. If you purchase only the full Climate game, you will be ignoring a set of symbols set in the lower-right of the Climate cards. (Again, North Star / Dominic did a nice job of making this feel just fine.)

So, in short: grab just the full version of the Climate game. It's fantastic - enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Thomas
msg tools
mbmb
Awesome thanks for the reply Russell. Yeah I just bought Evolution: The Beginning last week when it was on sale and enjoy and it want to try the more in depth version. I already have a watering hole from that so it sounds like just buying Evolution:Climate is the way to go for sure. On cool stuff the difference in price is like 7 dollars between Climate and Evolution so you get a game and an expansion for almost the same price!

There seems to be a lot of discussion about the flight expansion. Does the flight expansion incorporate well or not? Or is it something you would play with and ignore the Climate symbols? (Kind of like a module?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I have done is get Climate and the cards for the base game as a spare part. This means I can just grab the appropriate deck to play either. No need to sort through and remove cards. I got them as part of the Kickstarter, but I am pretty sure they are still available for USD7 or so. There is plenty of room in the Climate box to hold both sets nicely separated.

As for Fight, Dominic suggests adding Flight to the base game only for the best experience. i.e. as it was originally intended. However there are rules floating around for mixing SOME of the flight components to Climate and still keep a balanced game. It is not recommended to add all Flight to Climate as it unbalances the game. Though of course some have done it.

EDIT: Check out this Climate with Flight and this: Switching Climate to Flight for details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.