Hide
4 Posts

Virgin Queen» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Religious Struggle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve E
msg tools
In most of my playings, the Religious Struggle seems to take place, especially early in the game, in the Netherlands region. Yet the English spaces are also available to Spain for Catholic conversion .. why is it the Netherlands seems to receive most of the attention?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
SteveASL wrote:
In most of my playings, the Religious Struggle seems to take place, especially early in the game, in the Netherlands region. Yet the English spaces are also available to Spain for Catholic conversion .. why is it the Netherlands seems to receive most of the attention?

More cards that affect England the religious struggle in England (namely Enterprise of England) come into the game later, plus Spain generally has more things to worry about in the beginning and later in the game is often contemplating an invasion of England/Gunpowder Plot, for which religious action is absolutely key.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
Spanish fears of rebellion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Goldfarb Styrt
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, even if we're looking at the general Preach Sermon/Suppress Heresy actions, it's often in Spain's best interest religiously to stretch the Protestant thin across France and the Netherlands, rather than potentially annoying the English player by attempting to convert England (and worrying the other players about setting up a potential Catholic Rebellion Win later in the game). The Protestant may not be able to react to both Spain and France, whereas England is probably not very invested in the religious game early unless you go piss them off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.