Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jooles D
Canada
flag msg tools
Valar Morghulis
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where do you like to place Dracula first turn? What's your strategy?

Do you sneak up behind a hunter? Find some isolated spot up in Scotland or down in Italy perhaps? Or hunker down in Central Europe, moving in response to the hunter's actions?

Dracula's opening gambit seems to define the game so what strategy do you like to follow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Alton
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ALWAYS start with Dracula in ... Hey wait a minute... Others in my group might read this! Never mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooles D
Canada
flag msg tools
Valar Morghulis
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RA_gamer wrote:
I ALWAYS start with Dracula in ... Hey wait a minute... Others in my group might read this! Never mind.
Hey, if you always start there then they already know so might as well share!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
I'm Human, I promise!
badge
Lies, I'm totally a Cylon!
Istanbul, and loop through Kazakhstan to Saint Petersburg. They never find me.

Seriously though, your best option is to avoid predictability. So it really depends on where the hunters start, and how you think they will conduct their search before they get any clues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
United States
West Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree with Ian that "it depends".

I'll give you a specific example from my play group. The standard Hunter setup is Helsing-London, Mina+Godalming-Vienna, and Seward-Bucharest. This allows Mina to use ability in 5 regions in 5 turns or 4 (minus starting region) in 4 turns (end in Spain). Hunters also have a very easy time mixing up the order of these regions they clear. Due to this, Dracula's standard setup is to start in Spain, the furthest away from all hunters. The hunters currently believe it is an acceptable amount of risk for Dracula to start in Spain, considering all factors. It has been very rare for Dracula to escape week 1 without being found (before 1st encounter matures).

We've had a few attempts to border hop and do the follow thing but they've all been caught early. I have a sense the highest risk/reward is from the border-hopping or follow but it can seem like such a gamble when (in the above setup) you have this nice open region where you can almost guarantee the hunters won't be there for at least 4 turns. And if they do show up that early they won't have much for items.

The 'sweet spot' for Dracula is of course completely different with other setups. I'd like to hear what other people do most often and how they approach it (both sides).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcadious wrote:
Istanbul...

Not Constantinople?...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.