Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Cleric's Utility power card states:

"One Hero regains Hit Points ..."

Question: Is the cleric himself counted as "One Hero"? (thereby regaining HPs as a result of himself selecting to play this Utility power).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Struggling to think of a reason why he wouldn't be considered a Hero?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ask the question because the flavour text states that this action benefits his companions. It doesn't state that it covers him as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In previous discussions I recall the reasoning that favored the card text and ignored the flavor text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is indeed the way I have been playing it, but I have wondered if my interpretation is correcct, hence my posting the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
dougposkitt wrote:
The Cleric's Utility power card states:

"One Hero regains Hit Points ..."

Question: Is the cleric himself counted as "One Hero"? (thereby regaining HPs as a result of himself selecting to play this Utility power).

I think the general consensus is that flavour text is just flavour text. It doesn't have any bearing on the game rules.

So yes, the cleric can use it on himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I confirm: fluff text (in italic) cannot trump the power's written effect.

If that Utility Power states "One hero..." then Thorgrim himself is a valid target. Compare it with his Hero ability (the one printed on his sheet): It explicitly excludes Thorgrim.
Quote:
AID: You know healing techniques. At the end of your Hero Phase, if you did not attack, one other hero on your tile regains 1 Hit Point.

(emphasis mine)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so it is looking lkike I do have the right interpretation.

The cards do have to be read carefully, I can see that. For example, the Cleric's "Healing Strike" card states:

"If you hit, choose one hero within one tile of you. That hero regains 1 Hit Point."

Taken literally - in respect of the comments made above - then this power does not allow the hero to choose himself. The "That hero" meaning a hero other than himself ... or can it be read that he can, indeed, choose himself (as he will always be within one tile of himself)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
dougposkitt wrote:
Ok, so it is looking lkike I do have the right interpretation.

The cards do have to be read carefully, I can see that. For example, the Cleric's "Healing Strike" card states:

"If you hit, choose one hero within one tile of you. That hero regains 1 Hit Point."

Taken literally - in respect of the comments made above - then this power does not allow the hero to choose himself. The "That hero" meaning a hero other than himself ... or can it be read that he can, indeed, choose himself (as he will always be within one tile of himself)?

No, "that hero" in this context means "the hero you chose". If you chose the Cleric himself (which is a valid choice), than "that hero" refers to the Cleric.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that. I will apply that to all similar situations that may crop up. I am thinking that they could have made the card text a little more explicit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.