Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Practice Model Assembly rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristopher Latter
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey Guys,

Kind of a crazy question, but as someone who can't handle something as delicate as washing the dishes without getting into some kind of hospital visit inducing accident, I'm a little anxious about putting together the miniatures in this incredibly expensive game that I just backed.

It's probably not THE BEST idea for me to find out what my strengths and weaknesses are in figurine assembly with KD: M.

I'm wondering, does anyone with miniature assembly experience have any recommendations for something relatively cheap that would be good to practice on? Is there some series of hobby models or something that I could order that is completely unrelated to KD: M, but would teach me not to twist and break things, and to not glue my clumsy-ass fingers together?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a cheap option:

d10-1 Get a glass cup or jar
d10-2 Smash it with a hammer into tiny pieces
d10-3 Glue it back together

Alternative games/miniatures that might prepare you:

Game$ Work$hop - Warhammer, 40k, etc
Shadows of Brimstone
MERCS: Recon

That said, from what I have seen if you can put those together perfectly with your eyes closed, you MIGHT be able to attempt KD:M assembly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If the last KS is any indication, Poots included multiple sprues of models for this reason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I wouldn't overstress anout the difficulty of putting together theae miniatures. I have large, clumsy fingers and had zero model or figurine building experience when I bought this game. The starting figures are very easy to assemble and from what I've read many people use them exclusively in the game. The starting monsters are also simple to put together, so that by the time you get to assembling the butcher (the first nemesis and genuinely difficult model) you should have a pretty good idea of your competence level. A few things that I have found helpful during the learning process:

-Vibrantlantern.com is a great resource that shows how the figure pieces fit together and how the final model should look
-A pen knife is an absolute must for trimming and removing sprue pieces
-There are lots of armor sets with enough pieces to make two male and two female survivors from each, use these to experiment and test yourself
-Take your time! I'll cut out all the pieces I need beforehand, lay them out, and practice fitting them together in various ways before I ever pick up glue. This is useful less for seeing how the pieces fit than how I need to hold the tiny piecea in my sausage fingers.

The main thing I learned is that I really enjoy assembling miniatures, and I've gone on to build survi ors from just about every armor set I own now. You should figure out pretty fast how deep you want to go, so just start slow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Roeck
Austria
flag msg tools
Hey!
Just give it a try, it is actually not that hard.
KDM was my first game with models like these and nothing went wrong cool

Vibrantlantern helped me btw.a lot, dont fear you mighty skills, you'll be fine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
WillyBeans wrote:
Hey Guys,

Kind of a crazy question, but as someone who can't handle something as delicate as washing the dishes without getting into some kind of hospital visit inducing accident, I'm a little anxious about putting together the miniatures in this incredibly expensive game that I just backed.

It's probably not THE BEST idea for me to find out what my strengths and weaknesses are in figurine assembly with KD: M.

I'm wondering, does anyone with miniature assembly experience have any recommendations for something relatively cheap that would be good to practice on? Is there some series of hobby models or something that I could order that is completely unrelated to KD: M, but would teach me not to twist and break things, and to not glue my clumsy-ass fingers together?

Don' be anxious about that!
I never ever assembled minis before and i'm not very good with my hands but it went just fine.
Absolutely all of my minis (expansions included) were just fine.
But you should use a website of reference (with pictures and explanations): Vibrant lantern.

That's all you need.
No practice no nothing.
Just start with the most easy miniatures to warm up and leave the trickiest for when you gained some experience.
You'll see, it's fun as hell.

The only things you should be very careful about is to be sure that you cut in the right place.
Very rarely (but it happens): some parts seem to be just sprues junk while, in fact, they are part of the mini. So just be sure that you saw the model parts on a picture before you start cutting.
Besides that, it's just a breeze.
The phoenix and some monsters might be a lot to handle but, as I said, don't start with those and when you get to them, be sure to follow the steps in the Vibrant Lantern website.
This one took me 3 hours because there are so many parts but I got through it.

PS: can I ask you which pledge you took?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Latter
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies everyone! I am cautiously feeling much more optimistic about this now than I was a few hours ago

@baylock: I backed at the Black Friday Gold Lantern level. I'm hoping some expansions will come up as one-off buys as I hear some of them are absolutely worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Most of them are brilliant but none of them is mandatory.
The core game alone is a hell of a ride, you'll see.

For the miniatures, you will need a cutter, a hobby knife, a file and some plastic glue (important: not superglue!) and you will be fine.

You might also need some putty if you plan to paint your minis (the putty will fill the gaps).

And that's it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I had never assembled so much as a model plane before KD. I was surprised to find how much I enjoy assembling the models. It's not brain surgery; you'll manage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, and what is cool about the plastic glue is that you have quite some time before it dries and melt, so you can adjust easily your pieces together.
On the other hand, it means that you have to grab your pieces and stay still for quite some time before it dries.
But for a beginner, that's a small price to pay.
You can buy a spray that allows the the glue to dry faster but it's really not necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Charabaruk
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Small clamps and elastic bands are useful to hold parts while the glue dries
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm worse than a monkey with scissors, yet I did it fine. Just be patient until you get the grasp of it. The learning curve is not that steep with good tools (glue, cutter, pliers)and www.vibrantlantern.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If there's a Michael's store nearby, get the 40% off coupon and pick up a Revell or other model kit. You can also talk to your FLGS and see if they can recommend a multi-piece model kit with plastic sprues. You're better off with Michael's if you want some storage at 60% off today and Saturday, not to mention pagan decorations at 50% off or more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The lion is pretty easy. It doesn't have any small parts. As far as the survivors, try to relax about it, because you get like 40 of them in the box! If you mess up a few, you'll still have plenty

If you pick up a $20 warhammer pack of figures, that will give you a nice head start. I started with KD:M and struggled a bit. Then I took a step back and bought some warhammer, and painted them by following along with free guides online.

This helped me learn how to paint, and I wasn't messing up my KD:M stuff. Now I'm back, and my painting/assembly is MUCH improved!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay W
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patience is definitely the primary virtue when assembling models as delicate as these, and a willingness to compromise on certain things.

I've found that the regular hard plastic models are a lot more forgiving than the resin ones, due to the fact that liquid cement (the best glue fo hard plastic models) lets you melt the pieces together. Trying to stick some of the tiny pieces you get in a KDM resin model with super glue can get very frustrating, very fast. But if you take your time and follow a good guide, everything you get in the core box is very doable even by someone with little experience.

My advice is to get yourself some decent sprue cutters, as the these are your most important tool in actually getting the minis off the sprues - some people say they just pull em off or use nail clippers, I think I'd have a panic attack I use Xuron Micro Shear flush cutters, and they are awesome, can't recommend them highly enough. Then, you'll want a set of jewellers files to sand down the areas you've clipped, join marks etc. Finally, liquid cement with a brush on applicator. Humbrol and Tamiya both make good liquid cement. In the UK I can pick up all these essentials for around £15.

Next, get yourself a plastic model kit - there's so much variety on the market its crazy. If you're into historical stuff, I'd recommend some Perry Brothers or Gripping Beast plastics, they give you loads of figures to play with for a low cost and lots of variety to experiment with. If you prefer fantasy or sci fi, you might as well go for Games Workshop - they are industry standard. Get a kit you're excited to put together, and go crazy! Don't be afraid to experiment, and again, eBay is your friend for below RRP prices. After putting together a few sprues of these your happy with, you'll be ready to tackle Kingdom Death.

Just don't start working on the Phoenix without a guide for where the individual hands go, that'll have you rage quitting quick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might look at citidal or army painter beginner painting sets. Some of them also include a model or two to learn assembly and painting on. That wayyou learn both skills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How difficult/reasonable would it be to just do a simple wash on the minis? Also would you still need putty to fill the gaps in that case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
drew reilly
United States
Middeltown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
from my own experience I would recommend cleaning your assembly area/room very well before using the nippers on the spures. Vacuuum the entire area and then somebefore starting. When I was assembling the butcher one of his toes went flying and I feel lucky that I found it. I only found that piece by shining a flashlight along the floor and noticing the shadow. The Butcher's bits are the smallest bits I have seen yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's always handy to have the putty on standby besides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
How difficult/reasonable would it be to just do a simple wash on the minis? Also would you still need putty to fill the gaps in that case?

To do a wash, you will need to prime your minis first and to prime your minis, you will need to fill the gaps, so yes, you need some putty/green stuff.

Whatever you do, if you don't keep your minis as they are, you will need putty/green stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
If there's a Michael's store nearby, get the 40% off coupon and pick up a Revell or other model kit. You can also talk to your FLGS and see if they can recommend a multi-piece model kit with plastic sprues. You're better off with Michael's if you want some storage at 60% off today and Saturday, not to mention pagan decorations at 50% off or more.

Yeah, I would definitely recommend a cheap plastic model car kit. They have a lot of small pieces and they're made of the same type of plastic as the KDM minis.

The glue used for these models has a slight learning curve to it. There are a lot of varieties of it, but I like the Testors Liquid Cement (black container with very thin nozzle; sold at Michaels).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:

fwiw, While I haven't assembled the KD:M miniatures, I typically use Vallejo Plastic Putty, not Milliput, for my gap-filling. Milliput is a two-party epoxy, and is less convenient than squeezing out putty from a tube. Milliput is for larger gaps, like metal miniatures and Shadows of Brimstone.

For sprues, I will typically cut the sprue first. You'll see pics of a piece cut directly from the sprue. Don't do that. Your last cut should leave a tiny bit of sprue on the piece, then file off the remainder of the plastic. Toenail clippers and a hobby knife will help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.