Subject: Do you play with all 32 cards if you have only 5-6 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Williams
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
I would like to use all the cards. But, I wonder if by using all of them with 5-6 players it will shift the balance of the game so that it becomes rare for players to make it through a round and resolve things by comparing card values.

If you have played the premium version I would be very interested in your experience.

Thanks !

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it twice with 5 players. It's a long game, at least compared with what regular Love Letter is. I think we played for 1.5 maybe 2 hours both times, and the first time we didn't even finish it.

I'm definitely going to try removing a number of cards, placing them face up like with 2 players in the regular game, to see if that helps with play time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Hutchings
United Kingdom
Ampthill
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it 6-player for the first time last night, and yes, it is much longer than standard Love Letter. Our game was just over 2 hours, and most people thought it was too much. (In fact, one person knowingly let someone else win just to end it.) In standard LL, getting knocked out before even getting a turn isn't that much of a deal, since there'll be another round soon. It hurts a lot more in this version.

One thing that seemed to be slowing it down was the guards: looking around at all the numbers already played, and trying to figure out a good number to choose, takes a lot longer with more cards showing.

It's a shame, cos I really like the new cards (with the caveat of the Constable: overpowered but fixable -- see other threads). Next time with over 4 players, I'll try playing to 2 or 3 tokens, or reducing the card count somehow.

Glenn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Levin
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, it makes the game too long with 5. It no longer plays like the Love Letter we've come to know and love.
Almost all of my games have been with 4 players and the game is quick and elegant and has just the right amount of strategy. It's a house favorite.
With 5 it just isn't the same.
With 2 players, 1 card is discarded face down and 3 more face up. That's 25% of the 16 card deck. Maybe with 5 something similar should happen (although that would mean 7 face up cards, therefore lots to consider when playing a guard).
I think we'll try a house rule next time we play with 5 where we randomly choose 4 cards from the new cards and add them to the deck and then play as usual. (And perhaps another 4 for a 6th player).
Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:
I've played it twice with 5 players. It's a long game, at least compared with what regular Love Letter is. I think we played for 1.5 maybe 2 hours both times, and the first time we didn't even finish it.

I'm definitely going to try removing a number of cards, placing them face up like with 2 players in the regular game, to see if that helps with play time.

Hehe… well definitely if I ever play the game again… I haven't since posting this.

I haven't played regular Love Letter either since, but I'd be surprised if I'd never play it again. I'd be almost as surprised if I ever did play the 5-8 player game again, to be honest…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.