Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Steer
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey guys.

Kind of unrelated to Memoir '44, but I was wondering if anyone might know a good place to source mini plastic tanks roughly the same size as Memoir 44's without having to resort to buying Memoir expansion packs that I don't necessarily want.

I'm UK based and I've contacted Days of Wonder to see if they could provide replacement parts, but i presume there must be some cheap alternatives out there.

Any help much appreciated.

PS for those who are interested, I'm looking to pimp out a couple of other games I have where military units are represented by cubes or flags or dull stuff like that cool Couldn't find anything on ebay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/

Lots of options here but may not all be the size you want. Talk to them about your needs and you should find something that suits you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shapeways.com
There's a lot of 3D makers.
Or pimp with 1/72 scale tanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the_bengine wrote:
Hey guys.

Kind of unrelated to Memoir '44, but I was wondering if anyone might know a good place to source mini plastic tanks roughly the same size as Memoir 44's without having to resort to buying Memoir expansion packs that I don't necessarily want.

I'm UK based and I've contacted Days of Wonder to see if they could provide replacement parts, but i presume there must be some cheap alternatives out there.

Any help much appreciated.

PS for those who are interested, I'm looking to pimp out a couple of other games I have where military are represented by cubes or flags or dull stuff like that cool Couldn't find anything on ebay.

Attack!
Lots of minis close in scale, I use the artillary pieces to replace the DOW artillary that fall apart just by looking at them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Steer
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. These are all great suggestions. So far the most economical option seems to be HistoricalBoardGaming.com but I'll have to see how much they charge for postage to the UK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cooz wrote:
http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/

Lots of options here but may not all be the size you want. Talk to them about your needs and you should find something that suits you.

The models are 12mm scale. If you are willing to drop the requirement for plastic you can try:
EPerrin (Magister Militum),
EPendraken,
EPithead,
EMinifigs
EArrowhead Miniatures

Although my choice would be 6mm Heroics & Ross at a similar price to the plastic.

Of course you get bare metal that needs painting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The minis in Tide of Iron might foot the bill. Slightly larger than the M'44 ones, but a bit more detail. And they are plastic.

Left two tanks in the images are M'44 and then Tide of Iron:

GHQ has both N scale (1/160, larger than M'44) and Micro Armour 1/285 scale (smaller than M'44). They sell sample packs and have a UK distributor. But they are metal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can vouch for Perrin and Minifig's, they are great products and offer a lot of variation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Woelkers
United States
Bristol
Virginia
flag msg tools
You could try Axis and Allies. Pick them up on E-bay. If I am not mistaken, they might be a little smaller than the M-44 tanks and might need painting. There is usually a number of old A and A games for sale on E-bay. Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Williams
United States
Capital Region
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Game Crafter also has plastic tanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Micro Machines are a good match for M'44 figures...

...the vehicles include tanks, armored cars, half-tracks, self-propelled artillery, trucks, and many other useful items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
the_bengine wrote:
Thanks guys. These are all great suggestions. So far the most economical option seems to be HistoricalBoardGaming.com but I'll have to see how much they charge for postage to the UK.

They have a Europe based offshoot, based in Germany: http://www.historicalboardgaming.eu. Assuming that site has what you seek (the inventories of the two sites are similar but do not seem to be exactly the same to me), you may find shipping cheaper from there.

-M_R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Steer
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks again guys, these have all been great suggestions.

Unfortunately, the stores in the US are asking around $20 just for postage and the other suggestions of micromachines and ebay are either not available or quite pricey.

historicalboardgaming.eu would have been perfect but they seem to be out of stock of everything I've tried to put into my basket.

My current best bets seem to be to pick up the M'44 Eastern Front (you get 24 tanks for about £22) plus extras, or to buy an entire military game to re-purpose the bits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the_bengine wrote:
Thanks again guys, these have all been great suggestions.

Unfortunately, the stores in the US are asking around $20 just for postage and the other suggestions of micromachines and ebay are either not available or quite pricey.

historicalboardgaming.eu would have been perfect but they seem to be out of stock of everything I've tried to put into my basket.

My current best bets seem to be to pick up the M'44 Eastern Front (you get 24 tanks for about £22) plus extras, or to buy an entire military game to re-purpose the bits.

I consider the army expansions to be must haves... I have two copies of each expansion to keep the armies uniform when playing Overlord scenarios. (Not a mandatory need to play Overlord, just a preference)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Boesen
United States
Chevy Chase
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel-

Thanks on the tip for the Attack! minis - I followed your advice and bought the game, the artillery are about the same size at Memoir '44 minis and are more solid construction and are at a great price compared to the model companies where it is also hard to find matches in size to the Memoir '44 artillery minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.