8 Posts

Forbidden Stars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Movement-contested area-structures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas 52N6
msg tools
Hello dearest community,

i´ve gotten my hands on a copy of this really enjoyable game lately and we´ve been doing our first few games. the rules seem a bit abstract to us, what´s with maximum dice and unit limits and whatnot, however we think we figured most of the stuff out by now, one question remains though:

On p.3 under bastions the rules state:
"if the active player moves one or more units to a world that contains an opponents bastion, that area is contested and he resolves a combat [...] a bastion can defend a world on its own"

On p.4 of the rulebook, under "Combat" it is stated:
"When an area becomes contested, a combat occurs."
p.5:
"a contested area is any area that contains units or structures belonging to two factions"

The question:
Does attacking a world with a factory or a city from another faction result in that area being contested (making it impossible for another attack with that advance order), or is it only bastions that lead to areas being contested, since a battle occurs?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to getting this sorted out....its been a real bummer in the last game not knowing how to deal with this situation.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul B
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Only Bastions would cause a combat. Otherwise you just move in and claim your free city/factory!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas 52N6
msg tools
Hey Paul,

thx for your answer, however we are aware of that fact.

the question remains though: does attacking a world with only a factory/city mean that the area becomes contested?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A contest area is created when two sides have units/buildings in the same area (Contested Area entry in rules reference guide)

When the defender does not have any unrouted units or a bastion in a combat (i.e. only routed units and/or non-bastion buildings) then the attacker automatically wins (RRG entry on combat, 3rd bullet)

Nothing in the bastion entry contradicts that other buildings create contested areas or combats, though I see how it might be read that way.

In summary, moving into an area with just a non-bastion building will create a contested area (so no taking over two factories with one move command) and will even cause combat, though the combat will immediately end with the attacker winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas 52N6
msg tools
Hmh, alrighty. It sounds solid, thank you Niko. It´s a really confusing set of rules until you get the hang of it, i am a bit afraid if we´re doing stuff wrong all the time, but thanks to this outstanding community, things get cleared up and we can get our games going!
Loving it!

Hugs´n kisses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
islan wrote:
And when a contested area occurs with only non-Bastion structures, I believe you can still add reinforcement units, and even without them you still have to go through one execution round before going to the resolution step.
Both incorrect. See combat section in RRG, third bullet: Unless the defender has unrouted units and/or a bastion it goes straight to the attacker having won and resolving said win.
No adding reinforcements (which are limited to the number of units which would be zero anyways) and no die rolling, card play, or even card drawing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Both incorrect. See combat section in RRG, third bullet: Unless the defender has unrouted units and/or a bastion it goes straight to the attacker having won and resolving said win.
No adding reinforcements (which are limited to the number of units which would be zero anyways) and no die rolling, card play, or even card drawing.

My bad, I thought that was checked at the end of the execution step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas 52N6
msg tools
if there would be an execution round, it´d be crazy tbh (winks at Eldar wave serpent arrrh)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.