Popular Tags: [View All]
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
This popped up on facebook. Never heard of her. Anyone know if the meme is at all accurate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
This popped up on facebook. Never heard of her. Anyone know if the meme is at all accurate?

Yes
?
?
true
?
True
True
?
Yes
Yes
Yes

She's a Christian Reformed evangelical who is not liked by many even here in Michigan. She's a huge advocate for Christian schools and homeschooling. She has a "deeply held conviction" that precious little Christian snowflakes shouldn't receive any information that might question their beliefs. Her husband ran for governor and got his ass kicked by Granholm (?). In the election she was a net negative with her "God fearing" views. She is only a good choice if you think replacing public schools with christian Madrases is a "good thing". She's a big nod to the Christian right and shouldn't even be allowed to drive a school bus let alone the Dept of Education.

Oh! I forgot her billions are from a pyramid scheme aka Amway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
how long until "trump doesnt pick a racist but liberals still not happy"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
single sentences wrote:

I would take a qualified racist over and unqualified evangelical.

Next up!
Ben Carson as HUD Secretary. I wonder if he'll propose building pyramids to solve the food desert problem in inner-cities?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
rcbevco wrote:

i would not but given that the way the public education system is financed already discriminates heavily against non-whites theres probably not much a qualified racist could do to make it worse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
Drew1365 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:

!!!!

Sam just went alt-right.

looks like drew agrees that the alt-right is racist - maybe his fellow "conservatives" can follow course
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:

!!!!

Sam just went alt-right.

If she's wants to discriminate against people that aren't Christian she's at the very least a bigot. I know it's a fine line but and they're both assholes and sometimes you have to pick a side. (psst I'm kninda' being sarcastic, you see I'd much rather he picked someone like Rhee to "shake things up". Rhee at least has a clue and isn't doing it to promote a narrow religious agenda.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
If she's wants to discriminate against people that aren't Christian she's at the very least a bigot.

You just said you prefer racists over Christians.

Does that mean you're a White Power Atheist?

I also said I was being sarcastic you dork-nozzle. I prefer people who's only agenda is improving education.

http://scienceblogs.com/dispatches/2006/09/21/devos-and-inte...

https://www.michigandaily.com/content/devos-joins-debate-evo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
-So? Most cabinet appointees are rich.
-Meh. More concerned about the next one. Lot's of people do jobs they don't have a degree in.
-Concerning but also, she is not a teacher. She will be a cabinet member and administrator. Does she have administrator experience? Near as I can tell Obama's first Secretary of education Arne Duncan only had a Bachelor's degree in Sociology. http://www.infoplease.com/biography/var/arneduncan.html
That's only 1 out of 2 people i looked up. I'm not sure what the standard for Secretary of Education is supposed to be - it's a political appointment.
-Somewhat true. She does have experience being a board member and executive leader of different educational related groups.
-Completely irrelevant
-completely irrelevant
-source?
-ok. Many on the right do. I know it's not politically correct to say that.
-So? Non-profit and profit education both have a place.
-So?
-spin. Manay have advocated for using government money to for charter/private schools as a voucher program.

A lot of these are spin items. Who gives a shit she is a rich privileged person? Christ every cabinet position is - if that disqualifies you then every top person who holds a position in government should be out.

Overall I think she does lack experience and it is appointing a person who has a very specific agenda in mind that is many Democrats oppose yet many Republicans will support.

You left out the part where Arne Duncan was the Superintendent of the Chicago public schools

You "points" seems to make sense only when you manage to leave out little facts like that.

The fact that many Republicans will support this singularly unqualified candidate because she will support their highly questionable agenda does say it all doesn't it. Like this

Quote:
But if Michigan is a center of school choice, it is also among the worst places to argue that choice has made schools better. As the state embraced and then expanded charters over the past two decades, its rank has fallen on national reading and math tests. Most charter schools perform below the state average.

And a federal review in 2015 found “an unreasonably high” percentage of charter schools on the list of the state’s lowest-performing schools. The number of charter schools on that list had doubled since 2010, after the passage of a law a group financed by Ms. DeVos pushed to expand the schools. The group blocked a provision in that law that would have prevented failing schools from expanding or replicating.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/23/us/politics/betsy-devos-tr...

So basically pushing Charter Schools even when they fail

Brilliant choice there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
single sentences wrote:

Next up!
Ben Carson as HUD Secretary. I wonder if he'll propose building pyramids to solve the food desert problem in inner-cities?

Man, the liberals keep changing the goal posts.

First, they don't want any racists. Then, they're ok with racists, but don't want 'unqualified' candidates (whatever that means because they've done all the vetting and interviews over the internet, of course).

And, in any case, they don't want evangelicals, because all evangelicals are freaks..excuse me, scratch that, "deplorables".

So letmesee:

Qualifications for Trump candidates (from the Liberals):

Racist (Yes and No)
Evangelical (NO!!!!!)
Unqualified (in their eyes) (GODDAMIT, NO!) (And we KNOW whose qualified)

Gah...this is sooooo fucked up.

You know what fucked up? People who quote mine and don't know how to fucking read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
utoption2 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
single sentences wrote:

Next up!

First, they don't want any racists. Then, they're ok with racists, but don't want 'unqualified' candidates (whatever that means because they've done all the vetting and interviews over the internet, of course).

And, in any case, they don't want evangelicals, because all evangelicals are freaks..excuse me, scratch that, "deplorables".

So letmesee:

Racist (Yes and No)
Evangelical (NO!!!!!)

You know what fucked up? People who quote mine and don't know how to fucking read.

I read about as well as the average liberal. Maybe just a little, tiny bit better.

And even if I don't, you know what I typed is right because it about as fucked up as what you wrote. And I wrote it that way on purpose.

fucking balls... I'll write it again and Sloooower so you can keep up.

I
do
not
want
someone
who
is
either
a
racist
or
a
religious
zealot.

http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2016/11/bet...

FWIW
Quote Mining:
The practice of quoting out of context (sometimes referred to as "contextomy" and quote mining), is an informal fallacy and a type of false attribution in which a passage is removed from its surrounding matter in such a way as to distort its intended meaning.

-fin-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
If she's wants to discriminate against people that aren't Christian she's at the very least a bigot.

You just said you prefer racists over Christians.

Does that mean you're a White Power Atheist?

I also said I was being sarcastic you dork-nozzle.

I don't believe you. You committed a "Kinsley Gaffe."

Fine have it your way, you don't know me from Adam so I take your criticism as a stinging rebuke within that context... OR in other words, mind addled wishful thinking.

Besides you're a Packers fan and that says a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
galad2003 wrote:
-Meh. More concerned about the next one. Lot's of people do jobs they don't have a degree in.
-Concerning but also, she is not a teacher. She will be a cabinet member and administrator. Does she have administrator experience? Near as I can tell Obama's first Secretary of education Arne Duncan only had a Bachelor's degree in Sociology. http://www.infoplease.com/biography/var/arneduncan.html
That's only 1 out of 2 people i looked up. I'm not sure what the standard for Secretary of Education is supposed to be - it's a political appointment.
-Somewhat true. She does have experience being a board member and executive leader of different educational related groups.
-Completely irrelevant
-completely irrelevant
-source?
-So?
-spin. Manay have advocated for using government money to for charter/private schools as a voucher program.

A lot of these are spin items. Who gives a shit she is a rich privileged person? Christ every cabinet position is - if that disqualifies you then every top person who holds a position in government should be out.

Overall I think she does lack experience and it is appointing a person who has a very specific agenda in mind that is many Democrats oppose yet many Republicans will support.

You left out the part where Arne Duncan was the Superintendent of the Chicago public schools

You "points" seems to make sense only when you manage to leave out little facts like that.

The fact that many Republicans will support this singularly unqualified candidate because she will support their highly questionable agenda does say it all doesn't it. Like this

Quote:
But if Michigan is a center of school choice, it is also among the worst places to argue that choice has made schools better. As the state embraced and then expanded charters over the past two decades, its rank has fallen on national reading and math tests. Most charter schools perform below the state average.

And a federal review in 2015 found “an unreasonably high” percentage of charter schools on the list of the state’s lowest-performing schools. The number of charter schools on that list had doubled since 2010, after the passage of a law a group financed by Ms. DeVos pushed to expand the schools. The group blocked a provision in that law that would have prevented failing schools from expanding or replicating.

Brilliant choice there

No that line specifically talks about education which I was referring to. I am not saying Arne was not qualified overall I merely pointed out he doesn't have an education degree or even an upper level degree - so the precedent is not unheard of for Trump to appoint someone.

I pointed out the flaws of that post yet I agree she is not qualified. But I guess because I did not whole heatedly agree with every point that picture made, I have no issue with voucher programs and pointed out the bias in the picture....I dunno...I guess the hive mind can't take discussion or nuance.

This country is really getting to the point we can't handle middle of the road opinions or dissenting opinions on anything. If I don't agree with every point your side makes I guess I am wrong. Oh and a racist.

Forget nuance because that just becomes "Kinsley Gaffe" affected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I don't believe you. You committed a "Kinsley Gaffe."

when Drew overhears people playing fuck/marry/kill, he immediately calls the police because he thinks he heard people conspiring to commit homicide
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
galad2003 wrote:
-Completely irrelevant
-completely irrelevant
-source?
-So?

Quote:

Brilliant choice there

No that line specifically talks about education which I was referring to. I am not saying Arne was not qualified overall I merely pointed out he doesn't have an education degree or even an upper level degree - so the precedent is not unheard of for Trump to appoint someone.

I pointed out the flaws of that post yet I agree she is not qualified. But I guess because I did not whole heatedly agree with every point that picture made, I have no issue with voucher programs and pointed out the bias in the picture....I dunno...I guess the hive mind can't take discussion or nuance.

This country is really getting to the point we can't handle middle of the road opinions or dissenting opinions on anything. If I don't agree with every point your side makes I guess I am wrong. Oh and a racist.

I just pointed out that your "no big deal" attitude is somewhat interesting given the danger this woman points out

I guess that will be the right's answers to every criticism: Hive Mind.
And no one is quashing your dissenting opinion, and if you can't handle the criticism, doesn't that make you one of those special little snowflakes the right keeps whining about when talking about safe spaces and the like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
utoption2 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
utoption2 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
single sentences wrote:

Next up!

So letmesee:

Racist (Yes and No)
Evangelical (NO!!!!!)

I read about as well as the average liberal. Maybe just a little, tiny bit better.

And even if I don't, you know what I typed is right because it about as fucked up as what you wrote. And I wrote it that way on purpose.

I
do
not
want
someone
who
is
neither
a
racist
or
a
religious
zealot.

FWIW
Quote Mining:
The practice of quoting out of context (sometimes referred to as "contextomy" and quote mining), is an informal fallacy and a type of false attribution in which a passage is removed from its surrounding matter in such a way as to distort its intended meaning.

-fin-

Although I was born in Japan and, although I could probably claim Japanese citizenship, I cannot read Japanese and therefore cannot read vertically.

My apologies.

Sorry.

Thank you for your continued patience.

Oh, your post was pure bullshit. So, I took it and made more bullshit out of it--it's called leverage in business circles. I learned about it in my finance class in business school.

Dennis

So what's your opinion on having someone who is a proponent of Intelligent Design and possibly a Young Earth Creationist who wants to redirect money away from public schools into religious ones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: Betsy DeVos, Trump's Money Secretary of Education
~"You're "undoing" a 'JOB-of-a-HECK' there, 'Brownnosey'!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
What do they teach that you don't believe in? Do you think teaching ID in public schools will improve them? You do know a lot of that $7,000 is used on special needs students that, for the most part, are not allowed in or are inadequately supported in private schools. Who cares because my kids are ok? If that's your answer I respect that but won't agree with it. You could use that money and energy to get on the school board and fight to fix the things you think are wrong instead of complaining, did you consider it? My kids PS is top notch. I remember public schools in the 1980's, now there was a shit show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
utoption2 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
utoption2 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
utoption2 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
single sentences wrote:

Next up!

So letmesee:

Racist (Yes and No)
Evangelical (NO!!!!!)

I
do
not
want
someone
who
is
neither
a
racist
or
a
religious
zealot.

FWIW
Quote Mining:

-fin-

Although I was born in Japan and, although I could probably claim Japanese citizenship, I cannot read Japanese and therefore cannot read vertically.

My apologies.

Sorry.

Thank you for your continued patience.

Oh, your post was pure bullshit. So, I took it and made more bullshit out of it--it's called leverage in business circles. I learned about it in my finance class in business school.

Dennis

So what's your opinion on having someone who is a proponent of Intelligent Design and possibly a Young Earth Creationist who wants to redirect money away from public schools into religious ones?

It seems pretty straightforward to me. Right now, you have a demographic segment of America who are doing very well in industries based on science and innovation. At the same time, a large demographic segment is doing very poorly due to obsolete skills and being unable to keep up with economic change.
The obvious solution, therefore, is to undermine basic science education and undercut the knowledge advantage that gives the front-of-the-class kids their economic power and make everyone in America poor and backwards. That will show those smug liberal bastards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
What do they teach that you don't believe in? Do you think teaching ID in public schools will improve them? You do know a lot of that $7,000 is used on special needs students that, for the most part, are not allowed in or are inadequately supported in private schools. Who cares because my kids are ok? If that's your answer I respect that but won't agree with it. You could use that money and energy to get on the school board and fight to fix the things you think are wrong instead of complaining, did you consider it? My kids PS is top notch. I remember public schools in the 1980's, now there was a shit show.

I went to public schools my entire education (K-12) except for one partial semester in 3rd grade. I had a great education. We said the pledge every day (and even in Latin in Latin class). We had Christmas parties. We didn't get 'alternative' lifestyles rammed down our throats and told we had to accept them; in fact, sex wasn't even discussed--Calculus was! Imagine that! We didn't get time out of school to protest! We only had Men and Women bathrooms and we got by fine. And, it was a great education b/c my high school focused on education not issues. And in the end, I was offered not one, but two completely full scholarships to any university in the U.S. because of great teachers that forced us to work really hard on the subject matter NOT issues.

So it's an anti-gay thing for you. You are entitled to your opinion.

What percentage of time do you think they spend on these? Do you think they scrap lesson plans mid hour and go on diversity rants? My son will be in calculus next year unless they drop it for human sexuality studies 101, Haven't had any newsletters letting me known yet. I don't know of a single school in my county that has a "third" bathroom". Neither of my kids reported that alternative lifestyles were even being discussed let alone "rammed down their throats". Did they get sex ed? Damn straight and I'm glad that they did. Christmas parties are gone... good riddance. Education involves understanding and understanding leads to tolerance. You do know that one of the biggest problems with PS education today is parents right (Here's a hint, most of them don't give two shits)? What if anything can schools do about that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
utoption2 wrote:
I went to public schools my entire education (K-12) except for one partial semester in 3rd grade. I had a great education. We said the pledge every day (and even in Latin in Latin class). We had Christmas parties. We didn't get 'alternative' lifestyles rammed down our throats and told we had to accept them; in fact, sex wasn't even discussed--Calculus was! Imagine that! We didn't get time out of school to protest! We only had Men and Women bathrooms and we got by fine. And, it was a great education b/c my high school focused on education not issues. And in the end, I was offered not one, but two completely full scholarships to any university in the U.S. because of great teachers that forced us to work really hard on the subject matter NOT issues.

So it's an anti-gay thing for you.

So you've just established that you can't read. And yet you are lecturing everyone on education. BRILLIANT!

It seems to be the primary focus of his response. If that's one of his major criticisms fine, he's entitled to feel that way. I'm sure it's not the only problem he has and I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that I thought it was. Did you even read the rest of the post or was your rage boner too dig after the first few words?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
utoption2 wrote:

So it's an anti-gay thing for you.

So you've just established that you can't read. And yet you are lecturing everyone on education. BRILLIANT!

It seems to be the primary focus of his response. If that's one of his major criticisms fine, he's entitled to feel that way. I'm sure it's not the only problem he has and I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that I thought it was. Did you even read the rest of the post or was your rage boner too dig after the first few words?

No, tolerance wasn't the focus of my post. Dude, you are really deficient in the reading category. You must have had a really hard time on the SAT. My thesis was that I got a great education and got not one, but two completely two free rides to any college because my education focused on the subject matter, not issues. (I also got two free rides in graduate school to two top-10 grad schools and there wasn't a hint of tolerance or sex in those programs). Gah, I am feeling cheated. I need to call up my Nobel-prize winning professor and bitch him out.

I got that but you seemed to say that one of the reasons kids aren't getting a good education was because their time is being used on gay-stuff "issues". That is an oversimplification of the problems with today's education. I addressed several things that were all ignored because all that seems to matter is that 'I didn't get it'. I could be wrong because you know, I'm stupid and I don't get it.

In spite of my 1980's shit education. I did just fine on the GRE.

If this was all an exercise in avoiding good questions by pointing out how I didn't get it... I have better things to do today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
can we please go back to what a horrible choice she is~
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
utoption2 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:

So it's an anti-gay thing for you. You are entitled to your opinion.

What percentage of time do you think they spend on these? Do you think they scrap lesson plans mid hour and go on diversity rants? My son will be in calculus next year unless they drop it for human sexuality studies 101, Haven't had any newsletters letting me known yet. I don't know of a single school in my county that has a "third" bathroom". Neither of my kids reported that alternative lifestyles were even being discussed let alone "rammed down their throats". Did they get sex ed? Damn straight and I'm glad that they did. Christmas parties are gone... good riddance. Education involves understanding and understanding leads to tolerance. You do know that one of the biggest problems with PS education today is parents right (Here's a hint, most of them don't give two shits)? What if anything can schools do about that?

Nope, not anti-gay. I never said that.

So exactly what did you mean by
Quote:
'alternative' lifestyles rammed down our throats and told we had to accept them; in fact, sex wasn't even discussed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Pushing a lesbian old growth union-approved agenda since '94.
mbmbmbmbmb
single sentences wrote:
can we please go back to what a horrible choice she is~

Look, you might as well make her president. She held onto her money rather than going bankrupt, and has actually invested back into Michigan. She might not be qualified, but from here she looks more qualified than Trump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.