Subject: Finally got it right (slight spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to BGG, I discovered that in my solo games so far, I was mis-playing rules and totally goofing up the strategy and tactics. Rules I blew:

1. Forgot to take into account the LOCATION victory points for clearing all clues from them.

2. I was screwing up the timing of refreshing enemy cards.

3. Didn't realize that you could spend multiple resources to power up those skill cards. Very cool.

4. I didn't notice that the big bad guy in scenario 1 was 5 health PER INVESTIGATOR. Much harder to defeat!

Anyway, I just finished the first scenario with Roland and Wendy. I finally mastered how Wendy can continually peel the big bad guy off of Roland and then evade him. I can see this in my mind as a little urchin dodging behind bookshelves and sofas as she taunts the monster, giving Roland the opportunity to attack it from behind.

It was a slightly amusing game, though, because Roland never did find either his .38 or his .45! He kept desperately searching for weapons but only came up with a knife late in the game. Meanwhile, however, his buddy the research assistant was invaluable, garnering Roland a stockpile of supplies and helping him find clues. By the end of the epic fight, with a beat cop and his trusty knife, Roland hammered the enemy. I remembered to stay focused on beating him instead of getting distracted. Even Wendy landed a blow. Very fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am convinced that, despite what the decklists might say, Roland has no guns. Played three games with him now. Never seen them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steerpike wrote:
I am convinced that, despite what the decklists might say, Roland has no guns. Played three games with him now. Never seen them.

It makes a fair bit of thematic sense - in 1926, a Federal Agent would be unlikely to shoot first against an unarmed man, no matter how ghoulish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
It was my life, like all lives, mysterious and irrevocable and sacred. So very close, so very present, so very belonging to me. How wild it was to let it be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Steerpike wrote:

Oof. That's rough. Good luck.

Conversely, I've had my dynamite in just about every game I've played. Ended one game successfully by blowing it in my own space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! Glad to see I'm not the only one demanding Roland's Second Amendment rights. As for dynamite, I've come to the (perhaps biased) conclusion that that card is somewhat useless. I rarely have five resources to spend, and I rarely have a situation in which I can safely throw it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Poole
msg tools
Dynamite is a card you have to be psychic to use.

Base campaign spoilers:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
For instance, if you completely bail on scenario 2, and then have a fistful of explosives to chuck into the gathered cultists in scenario 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Trang
United States
California
flag msg tools
I cant believe I missed the ghoul priest health. They really should have printed it in the text box in writing instead of using all these icons.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I didn't notice it either until someone mentioned it on BGG! No wonder I had such an easy time at first. Much harder when you follow the rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
Steerpike wrote:

It makes a fair bit of thematic sense - in 1926, a Federal Agent would be unlikely to shoot first against an unarmed man, no matter how ghoulish.

Whaddya think he's trying to Cover Up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, but the next expansion has a Weakness Card called "Private Email Server."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamedog wrote:
Esgaldil wrote:
Steerpike wrote:

Whaddya think he's trying to Cover Up?

The existence of aliens - he's a MiB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lon Prater

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmb
Similarly, Daisy is has the fewest books of any librarian I have ever seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.