Subject: Battle Resolution & Mythological Creatures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugues
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
We had a small issue where one player attacked using Pegasus.
He had 2 troops vs 1 for the defender.
He lost the first round, so he lost one troop.
The defender decided to stay, so he (the attacker) then considered to retreat his last troop, but there was no path existing (no sea retreat).
He asked if it was possible at this very moment to buy the Sylph card and use it to move ships to create a path for retreat over the sea.

We decided against it, the idea being that combat had to be resolved.

re. in "Explanation of Battle"
"4) These steps are repeated until only one player is left in the combat zone. That player takes control of the isle or the sea space in which battle occurred."

What do you guys think? Can someone 'buy' a Mythological Creature card in between two rounds of battles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I wouldn't allow that. Combat is the extended resolution of a move action, which is discrete from a buy-creature action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mb
I would say no.

Page 3, "5) Performing Actions":

Quote:
The player who has won the offering bid on the first God can perform, in the order of his choice, the actions specific to that God, and use a Mythological Creature by paying the cost corresponding to each of those actions.
The actions are the following:
Call upon one or more Mythological Creatures (all Gods except for Apollo)
• Recruit (all Gods except Apollo)
• Build (all Gods except Apollo)
• Special action (all Gods except Athena and Apollo)
• Increase revenue (Apollo)
The 4 main Gods work in the same way. Only Apollo is different.

It is possible to alternate actions (example: recruit, built and recruit again).

When the player is done with his actions, he places his offering marker

As I read the text, you pick one action and do that to its completion before choosing and resolving another one. In this case the player hopped onto Pegasus' back and flew to an island to do battle. He couldn't buy another mythological creature since he was still resolving the first one.

What he could've done is buy the Sylph first and resolve its action fully, then buy Pegasus and fly to battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugues
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
In the example I gave, I realize that Pegasus complicates things.

Really my question boils down to this: can we buy a Mythological Creature between 2 rounds of one battle.

And the answer is 'no' - the battle has to be resolved first.

Thanks guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.