Keyflower» Forums » General

Subject: Mixing expansions together rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mb
Hi
My gaming group is growing and Keyflower seems to be quite good fit as up to 6 player euro game.
My only concern is how the game integrates both expansions. Is it possible to mix them both at once? And if so and if I understood rulebooks correctly, I'm worried that players might get some "winter tiles" to score points for any type of animals or other resources which might not come to play at all. Could such awkward situation even happen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the expansions are not designed to be mixed together.

I've only played farmers one time, and it was a poor experience for me because the tiles didn't really mesh well. I would recommend using the suggested games in the rules, but ymmv...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:

I found this thread Keyflower randomizer web-page that discusses a randomizer for setting up the game in detail. I think playing with the two expansions is quite possible but some care might need to be taken to ensure the right tiles are present to fully enjoy the game.

Maybe one day when I have time I'll put together my own randomizer that gives the user flexibility to force specific tiles into the game and link relevant tiles together so that each seasons tiles work with one another. When I have time. Ha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mb
I see, thank you for clarification. I thought that mixed variant means to mix simply everything together.

I'll definitely check the randomizer which might cover tile and goals dependancies. Other solution which came on my mind is to deal winter tiles and then do a draft of others, but it might bring too passive gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone were to get the game and wanted an expansion, I'd highly recommend Keyflower: The Merchants over the first one as it makes the game a bit deeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van M.
Netherlands
Tilburg
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always play with everything randomized. So sometimes we play with tiles from both expansions. I see no problems with that, but I enjoy the fact that you have to adept to what the game gives you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sjone wrote:
I'm worried that players might get some "winter tiles" to score points for any type of animals or other resources which might not come to play at all.

I know that The Merchants expansion increases the number of winter tiles per player from 3 to 4, so I assume that Farmers does the same. If you end up with no 'good' winter tiles then that's fine because you are in no way guaranteed to own the winter tiles that you put into play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for all your responses. I'm pleasantly surprised by variability the game offers. Base game plus Merchants will be definitely in my next shopping cart and if game turns out to be hit in our group, I'll add even Farmers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I was under the impression that you already had the game... doesn't really change anything that I would have said though.

I've never played with 6, but wouldn't think that it was a great idea to try until you have a few experienced players.

There is more than enough replayability in the base game to satisfy for a while, so keep your expansion under wraps for a while.

Finally, my 'trick' for introducing this game to new players is to wait until the end of spring to hand out the winter tiles. That way, players have gotten used to the bidding/worker placement mechanisms and have less to process. I explain that the winter tiles should be handed out at the start and make it clear that they are not personal goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mb
First of all, I have to admit, I suffer from "completions" syndrome, so you can bet I'll buy both expansions in the end, but struggle with denial phase now
I have stable group of five quite experienced players for couple years now and sixth player has joined us recently. I'm a bit worried that KF might be on ligher side of games in my collection and therefore, I'm thinking to jump into expansion right away just add a bit of complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:

I've only played farmers one time, and it was a poor experience for me because the tiles didn't really mesh well. I would recommend using the suggested games in the rules, but ymmv...

i don't know where you are getting this (them not being designed to be mixed). i play the expansions mixed together regularly and actually really enjoy the game that way. i use the Farmers rules in terms of number of tiles each player gets and which come out each season. i also use the farmers turn order tiles so there's more ability to get resources at the end of each season.

i wrote a post about this here if you're interested. i had reservations about using everything mixed together but i will probably only play it this way (with experienced players) from now on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.