8 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Enemy + Guard Dog + evidence! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Christensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Got an interesting rules timing question for you guys, which came up in my play session last night:

I'm playing as Skids O'Toole who is in the cellar with a single clue left.

O'Toole is also engaged with a ghoul who has a single HP left. I have Guard Dog out and Evidence in my hand.

For my first action, I decide to move back to the hallway, which triggers an Attack of Opportunity from my enemy. I put the damage to Guard Dog which defeats the ghoul.

Can I now play evidence to get the remaining clue from cellar, or would it serve no purpose as I have already moved to my new location?

I've looked over the rules, and well, I think it boils down to when the actual move is taking place in this chain of events:

Declare move action
Attack of Opportunity triggers
Attack deals damage
"When" ability triggers on "Guard Dog"
Enemy (and Guard Dog) takes damage
Enemy is defeated due to 0 HP
FAST: "After" ability triggers on "Evidence!"
Clue is Discovered
Move action triggers as AoE event series is complete

Help and thoughts, please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joltin' Joe
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you've nailed it, John. I don't see anything that would preclude you playing the fast event card. It does say to play it "after" defeating an enemy, which means its effects are applied when that defeat has resolved, but I think they have, and so you may play it even before your move action has finished resolving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Christensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
I can definitely see it both ways - which is why I ask

Possibly, the move action could technically trigger after the "enemy is defeated"-step?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the problem:

"Any time an entity moves, it is considered to leave the previous location, and to enter the new location, simultaneously."

and this is the solution:

"An attack of opportunity is made immediately after all costs of initiating the action that provoked the attack have been paid, but before the application of that action’s effect upon the game state."

Looking at those two rules together, there is a clear window for reactions to the Attack of Opportunity that apply before the Action proper changes your location. Go for it!

N.B. This even works if Guard Dog is eliminated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
DK_John wrote:
Declare move action
Attack of Opportunity triggers
Attack deals damage
"When" ability triggers on "Guard Dog"
Enemy (and Guard Dog) takes damage
Enemy is defeated due to 0 HP
FAST: "After" ability triggers on "Evidence!"
Clue is Discovered
Move action triggers as AoE event series is complete

Agree with this chain of events. "After" may be "slower" than "when", but is still interruptive/reacting to something happening before the move is done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
I think there's two applicable 'after' effects to take into consideration and decide if any occur first or if they're applied simultaneously.

(1) - After you defeat an enemy ... ('Evidence' card ability)
(2) - After all attacks of opportunity are made, continue with
the resolution of the action which instigated the attack. (Rules Ref, p5, Attacks of Opportunity)

I break it down like this:

So, the Guard Dog ability fires *during* the enemy attack
-- the ghoul PLACEs its damage on Skids
-- you ASSIGN the damage onto the dog
-- dog ability triggers, the dog kills the ghoul (note, no place/assign/apply requirements here, just a dead ghoul)
-- (1): "After you defeat an enemy" window
-- you then APPLY the damage to the dog, dog dies
-- (2): "After all attacks of..." fires
-- you resolve the move action
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Christensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Looks like the general consensus is that the actual moving happens at the end of the triggered series of events, making "evidence!" a valid play to get the clue from the Cellar.

Thanks for the clarification all, you're awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.