Hide
10 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: The minis in the KS video rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Gabriel
msg tools
The Kickstarter 1.5 video shows the minis with a really nice textured look to them. Is this a simple wash, or a more involved paint job? With all the assembly (and potentially magnetizing) to do, I'm not particularly interested in taking on a full paint job. However, If I can get a look like that without spending hours per mini, it would be well worth a little extra effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGPrime wrote:
The Kickstarter 1.5 video shows the minis with a really nice textured look to them. Is this a simple wash, or a more involved paint job? With all the assembly (and potentially magnetizing) to do, I'm not particularly interested in taking on a full paint job. However, If I can get a look like that without spending hours per mini, it would be well worth a little extra effort.

Another thread just posted said it's a paint job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Man
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
DyingTickles wrote:
TheGPrime wrote:

Another thread just posted said it's a paint job.

I think he's asking how (I'm curious as well)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The guy said it was primed with an airbrush, then dry brushed and washed here and there.
And the cracks are made by hand.
That's basically it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah... honestly, I was pretty disappointed in that. At first thought they'd just gotten a crack texture on the base insert when I was skimming, but it's like the worst of both worlds: it isn't raw plastic (what you get) nor is it an exciting paint job. It's just kinda' lifeless. snore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, Nick, I think it's kind of brilliant as a marketing decision. It looks nice. Not awesome to the painters set, but nice on the table. Better than raw plastic would look. It's also a really accessible thing. They could print a really quick .pdf to explain how someone with no painting skills could do that. As an olive branch to those coming just for the game, I think it's smart. Especially because they didn't bend on the "no minis version" thing people wanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
Yeah... honestly, I was pretty disappointed in that. At first thought they'd just gotten a crack texture on the base insert when I was skimming, but it's like the worst of both worlds: it isn't raw plastic (what you get) nor is it an exciting paint job. It's just kinda' lifeless. snore

A matter of taste, I guess.
The choice is understandable as it looks more than ok and it seems achievable for anyone who's not a good painter.
I think that's the point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Tastes differ. I like the cracked stone paint job because it reflects the art of the books and tokens. It seems to reference classical sculpture, and it gives the minis as a whole a unified palette and appearance. It's not the most vibrant work Hockley's done, but I would love to have it on my own set. Or just on my Kara Thrace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TechRaptor Travis
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get more info at the source: https://www.facebook.com/theblackhandsblog/posts/15811926155...

Scott Hockley (the painter) said that the scheme and process came from Thomas David (sculptor of the Dragon King etc) and that there may end up being an official guide for this scheme in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AGN1964 AGN1964
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like it. I might try it, if it is quick enough. I would plan to do this, and then paint over it later with a "colourful scheme", so I'd like to get this statue scheme done quick enough that I don't feel like I've lost anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.