Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all!

I'm looking to pick up a game as a Christmas gift for my office manager, a lady my wife and I are also personal friends with. She has said that she wants to have more family game nights and less video game time for the kids. She has two kids, a teenager and an adult son who also lives with her, plus her significant other (who doesn't much like games) and several other people who don't live there but hang around her house a lot. The teenage son has obvious ADD, and needs something quick moving to hold his attention. She and her kids both have limited exposure to modern boardgames, but they all have a long history of playing CCG's (tournament-level Magic and casual Yugioh).

She loves Fluxx and has almost every version. She also tried Sushi Go and Castle Panic at our house (and she specifically chose Castle Panic over Flash Point because of the theme). She liked Sushi Go so much that she's already bought her own copy, and I think she told her family she wants Castle Panic for Christmas, so I don't want to risk getting her a second copy.

I was thinking maybe King of Tokyo or Smash Up, but I wanted to see what suggestions others might have. I'm more into heavier euros, so the light stuff that I think would appeal to her family is not my forte.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug L
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What about Cottage Garden? It plays 4, pretty quick moving, a little puzzle, pretty light.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1637south
Sounds like she needs short games that move quickly.

Council of Verona is good but better with both expansions.
Love Letter
Pickomino
Longhorn
Stellar Conflict

All fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
I haven't played Smash Up, but King of Tokyo sounds like it could be a good fit

A real-time game like Escape: The Curse of the Temple could also work, or a simple push-your-luck like Diamant/Diamant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lord
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I would recommend 7 Wonders. It is the natural step up from Sushi Go. It can play up to 7 players easily, and since all game play happens simultaneously, it is great for people with shorter attention spans. Play time is about 30 minutes, regardless of how many people. It is a bit more complicated than Sushi Go, which could be a downside for you, but it shouldn't be too hard to teach since have Sushi Go as a strong foundation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.