Dominion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Are Militia (etc.) discards silmutaneous? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Howlett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Militia and friends tell affected players to "Discard down to 3 cards in hand". Supposing you start with a hand of 5, do you discard the cards simultaneously, or one at a time?

This matters if you hold, for instance: Tunnel, Watchtower, Gold, Gold, Platinum. Can you discard Tunnel, gain a Gold putting it on deck with Watchtower, then discard Watchtower; or must you discard both at once?

Bonus question: given a hypothetical card which read "Discard 2 cards", would your answer change?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chowlett wrote:
Militia and friends tell affected players to "Discard down to 3 cards in hand". Supposing you start with a hand of 5, do you discard the cards simultaneously, or one at a time?

This matters if you hold, for instance: Tunnel, Watchtower, Gold, Gold, Platinum. Can you discard Tunnel, gain a Gold putting it on deck with Watchtower, then discard Watchtower; or must you discard both at once?

Bonus question: given a hypothetical card which read "Discard 2 cards", would your answer change?

For discards from A player, follow whatever the rules are laid forth by the game. Here, IIRC, you discard both cards at the same time, but you are allowed to only show the top card as you're discarding them as you put them into your discard pile.

For your Tunnel and Watchtower example, when getting hit with Militia, discard 1 Tunnel, reveal it, then reveal a Watchtower to top deck it. Ditto with the other Tunnel. Even if we were to take discards as simultaneous, you still resolve the reactions and other "interrupts" one at a time.

No change with discard 2 cards vs. discard down to 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Chowlett wrote:

No need to hypothesise. Inn is a real card which reads "Discard 2 cards". Cellar is the archetype for sifters, of course.

In my mind I'm very clear that if you discard N cards, you discard them simultaneously, if for no other reason than that we already know the other players only get to see the number of cards you discard and the face of the topmost one, not the faces of any of the others.

Militia is a far trickier case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
ackmondual wrote:
Even if we were to take discards as simultaneous, you still resolve the reactions and other "interrupts" one at a time.

The issue is not whether you resolve triggers one at a time, but when you resolve them.

One option is that Militia has you discard cards one at a time until you have only three left in hand (so on-discard effects for each trigger before you discard the next).

The other optioin is that Militia has you discard several cards simultaneously, and then resolve the on-discard effects for all of them (in an order of your choosing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Chowlett wrote:

You discard the cards all at once, with only the ends-up-on-top card revealed (and then can reveal Tunnel if it was one of the cards, whether or not you put it on top).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Howlett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
Chowlett wrote:

You discard the cards all at once, with only the ends-up-on-top card revealed (and then can reveal Tunnel if it was one of the cards, whether or not you put it on top).

And that settles that . Thank you!

clivej wrote:
No need to hypothesise. Inn is a real card which reads "Discard 2 cards".

Oh yeah - d'oh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And oh... As far as between players goes, THAT's done in turn order from the player who played the Militia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
Chowlett wrote:

There's also Torturer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Goldfarb wrote:
clivej wrote:
Chowlett wrote:

There's also Torturer.
You can always take a Curse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
David Goldfarb wrote:
There's also Torturer.

If you have a Tunnel in hand you might prefer not to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Surely taking the Curse instead of discarding is the default for most experienced players? (Unless your hand is green and purple, of course.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Goldfarb wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
David Goldfarb wrote:
There's also Torturer.

If you have a Tunnel in hand you might prefer not to.
but then there might be a Mountebank around the corner

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Gosh. Given the choice to receive all of a Gold, a Copper and a Curse or none of them, I guess you'd normally decline. But it could depend a lot on both circumstances and kingdom!

Edit: on second thoughts, I'm not so sure. Cache demonstrates people will sometimes pay $5 for a Gold and two Coppers, so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Weaver
United States
Denver
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
Surely taking the Curse instead of discarding is the default for most experienced players? (Unless your hand is green and purple, of course.)

I've played 5,000 games of Dominion. While everything is situational, my default is discarding when Tortured, unless of course the Curse pile is empty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chadw09 wrote:
clivej wrote:

I've played 5,000 games of Dominion. While everything is situational, my default is discarding when Tortured, unless of course the Curse pile is empty.

Whereas I'd take the Curse in a lot of situations, especially if I'm going to be hit with multiple Torturers (King's Court-Torturer? Probably Curse-Curse-Discard the curses.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chadw09 wrote:
clivej wrote:

In the simplest of scenarios; "opponent plays torturer", I agree with you. Militia attack is way less painful than Witch attack in general.

However, I find that if we're just looking at all the times my opponent has played a torturer, then probably at close to half of those are situations in which I expect another Torturer to be played the same turn. If I expect that, then I'll take a curse and discard rather than discard down to 1!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll discard down to 1, now that we have a Diplomat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Knutsen
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
Chowlett wrote:

Are you referring to both Militia and Inn? Because you've previously ruled that you discard one at a time for Militia: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=10683.msg4...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
PunchBall wrote:
Are you referring to both Militia and Inn? Because you've previously ruled that you discard one at a time for Militia: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=10683.msg4...

Yes, sorry; Inn is "discard 2 cards at once" while Militia is "repeatedly discard 1 card until at 3."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
PunchBall wrote:

Yes, sorry; Inn is "discard 2 cards at once" while Militia is "repeatedly discard 1 card until at 3."

Hmm, so does this mean that your opponent is allowed to see all the cards that were discarded to Militia? I believe ShuffleIT only tells you the last one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
Inn is "discard 2 cards at once" while Militia is "repeatedly discard 1 card until at 3."

Another unfortunate instance where the same words on the card mean different things. Sorry to complain, especially since I can't think of a good way to fix it, but these examples stand out so sharply against the exceptionally smooth way nearly every other card plays. Your language is usually impeccable, and yeah. It's unfortunate.

(The other example is one about visiting with one card, and not visiting with another card, even though both have the same words.)

Actually, the other example has the exact same words, and this one does not, but it's pretty close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
donaldx wrote:
Inn is "discard 2 cards at once" while Militia is "repeatedly discard 1 card until at 3."

Another unfortunate instance where the same words on the card mean different things. Sorry to complain, especially since I can't think of a good way to fix it, but these examples stand out so sharply against the exceptionally smooth way nearly every other card plays. Your language is usually impeccable, and yeah. It's unfortunate.

(The other example is one about visiting with one card, and not visiting with another card, even though both have the same words.)

Actually, the other example has the exact same words, and this one does not, but it's pretty close.

Are you referring to Nomad Camp in regard to the visiting rule? Because the second edition printings have fixed the Nomad Camp wording.

And I think in the Inn/Militia wordings; the difference between "discard down to 3 cards" and "discard 2 cards" is different enough that the ruling is consistent/logical. To discard down to 3 to me implies that you would keep discarding until you are at 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
Whizkid wrote:
donaldx wrote:

Are you referring to Nomad Camp in regard to the visiting rule? Because the second edition printings have fixed the Nomad Camp wording.

And I think in the Inn/Militia wordings; the difference between "discard down to 3 cards" and "discard 2 cards" is different enough that the ruling is consistent/logical. To discard down to 3 to me implies that you would keep discarding until you are at 3.
Excellent news, all around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Swarthout
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
Whizkid wrote:
donaldx wrote:

Keep discarding until you have discarded 2 cards would be equivalent. Without any further context they both sound like all cards that make the effect true would be discarded at once.

Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.