Spain
Dobro (Los Altos)
Burgos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I played the game yesterday for the first time. Could not finish it because it took longer than expected, but I think that -knowing the rules- I may finish a complete game in 6-7 hours (I am not the fastest player in the world, I am afraid...).

Thanks to the designer/developer/artist for their work, I think that we have a very nice and interesting game here. The rules are not difficult, but there are many "new" things to learn and several exceptions. But we did not have much trouble with the rules (thanks for the Errata/Clarifications/FAQ, by the way...).

Impressions:

- As I said, the rules are not difficult (but not simple either), but there are several mechanics that need to be understand and mastered by the players. Probably you need one or two sessions for that: the way combat works, knowing how to spend the limited production, making good use of the few movements, understanding the order of play of factions...

- Mistakes are not forgiven: there are several areas that must be defended, and losing them seems a BIG trouble. For example, I was playing with the Central Powers and did not protect the Italian front (thinking that I could do it later). Italy entered the war and my oponent moved two British armies to the Italian front, attacking and easily capturing Austria. I thought that I would be able to recapture the area, but he reinforced it and it was a HUGE pain, because he could menace three areas -including Austria-Hungarian capital- so I had to send units and all my plans were spoiled! I suppose that you also need a pair of games to notice this important aspects of the game.

- The gameplay is quite fast and smooth, I liked it. I was afraid of the prominence of luck, but we saw that, with so many die rolls, it was no a problem. Of course, there could be an aberrant run of good or bad die rolls, but overall I think that the luck factor is OK.

- Technology is one thing that may be problematic: here the luck factor can be decisive, and one player could receive technologies while the other has bad luck and never picks the righ card! I do not know if this has been commented by other players, I would like to hear opinions.

Finally, two questions:

- Just to be sure: after you lose the Big Push modifier, you may obtain it again if another attack from that same area is succesful, correct?

- Connected to my Italian example above, I want to be sure that we make it right: In the turn Italy enter war, friendly armies may move to Italy, correct?

Thanks again, I will play the game again as soon as possible.

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has such high marks from players--I've got to give it a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
Gentilhombre wrote:

Finally, two questions:

- Just to be sure: after you lose the Big Push modifier, you may obtain it again if another attack from that same area is succesful, correct?

- Connected to my Italian example above, I want to be sure that we make it right: In the turn Italy enter war, friendly armies may move to Italy, correct?

Thanks again, I will play the game again as soon as possible.

David

Big Push: yes, you can get it back again. If you win a combat against an Army you get the Big Push, if you have enough armies in the same area you could gain and lose the Big Push more than once in the same area.

Italy: Italy joins the war in the Event phase, so Italy can be moved into, and Italian Armies can be moved that same turn.

Multiplayer LAMPS
After teaching and playing the game a few times, we have found that playing Russia (Eastern Allies) is less fun than the others 3 factions. Russia has fewer armies and must be careful to not be too aggressive, depending on what the Central Powers do.

So a 3 player game, with one player for the Western/Eastern allies is a suggestion, or make the Western and Eastern allies player swap factions every few turns.

For an experienced player playing Russia is a long play challenge, survive the early war and make sure the Western allies keep the pressure in the West.

I like LAMPS as a 4 player multiplayer game, but just like other multiplayer wargames (such as Napoleonic Wars) you must recognize that each faction has its pro's and con's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.