Hide
11 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: cross-campaign persistence? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bill murphy
msg tools
i was wondering what exactly was 'intended' in regards to deckbuilding. are future campaigns built to be played with prior decks or do they want you to start fresh with a new campaign, maybe even excluding it to only new investigators? i was considering keeping what i've built and maybe trying a harder difficulty on the next campaign- or even a new game+ with the core set. i know it's a co-op and you can kind of make your own fun, but i was wondering if anything has been said one way or another to have a 'pure' experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The intent is to start a fresh investigator without any lingering decks or characters from a previous campaign. You can choose any investigator, core or expansion, but they should have a brand new deck.

That being said, you can do whatever you want, but the above is the design intent by FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Heilmann
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way it is intended is that you start over new when you begin a campaign. There is a variant however where you can just carry over an investigator to the next campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Ingram
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
My friends and I (still waiting on our second core set so we haven't played deep into the campaign yet) have been debating the rule we're going to follow, and we've decided for campaign persistence, with the player optionally being able to just go ahead and make a new deck instead OR if the character dies (full trauma) they're permanently gone and a new deck has to be made (can be the same character, just starting at 0 exp). We feel this will make trauma an actually scary mechanic in every setting (short campaigns, long campaigns, and one shot scenarios) because otherwise trauma doesn't really seem dangerous so far? Maybe there's more to it than I've seen though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
It was my life, like all lives, mysterious and irrevocable and sacred. So very close, so very present, so very belonging to me. How wild it was to let it be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished the campaign with a friend and was surprised to hear her say she wants to continue the next cycle with our current investigators. This means we have to take two mental trauma at game start. Not sure how long Roland will make it (though I did purchase and Elder Sign to give him more room for suffering horror).

I expect to play at least one more and maybe two more campaigns with different friends. My guess is we'll start each new campaign fresh.

Point is, there are different ways to go about it which I like. I like the idea mentioned above about giving people to option to continue or create a new deck from 0. Good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Poole
msg tools
I think trauma is more thematic than scary. It's to punish repeated death (i.e. overextension, because a lot of Resign options are available). It's not there as a primary threat to be balanced.

I also think persistent trauma punishes low sanity characters disproportionately. 3 trauma is crippling to Roland, but barely drops other characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Ingram
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Roland looks like he's ready for an early retirement anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It looks like some chcaracters are better suited for a long term campaing than other.

Have a look at Roland, his ability is crazy powerful and his weakness doesn't impact you short term. But in long term, both his low sanity, low will and Cover Up weakness, makes him destined to go insane sooner or later.
He is great choice for stand alone scenario or short campaing like the one in core set. The 8+ scenario is completely different story. Just a bad luck might make him fall in the middle of campaing, putting all collected XP to waste.

Wendy is absolute opposite. Her weakness is minor annoyance without long term consequences. Also her stats are well balanced. Unfortunatelly she doesn't have as flashy ability as Roland, but she has much better chance to survive until the end of a long campaing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
It was my life, like all lives, mysterious and irrevocable and sacred. So very close, so very present, so very belonging to me. How wild it was to let it be.
mbmbmbmbmb
skullie wrote:

He's only got one more day until retirement. So as long as nothing crazy happens today ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enzo622 wrote:
skullie wrote:

He's only got one more day until retirement. So as long as nothing crazy happens today ...

Also, when we head to Essex, he's likely to be tired of these monkey fighting tentacles on this Monday to Friday Train.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lon Prater

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmb
I was thinking about the same thing. I know the intent is to start a fresh campaign with all fresh Investigators fully available, but I also like the idea of carrying an investigator over from one Campaign to the next.

I think the house rule we will end up going with is that before a new Campaign begins, if we are carrying ANY Investigator forward, then ALL character deaths and Trauma persist...

HOWEVER before a still-living character plays their first Scenario in a new Campaign it will be assumed that enough time has passed that the character may heal 1 point of Physical Trauma and "come to terms" with 1 point of Mental Trauma. If a standalone is played between Campaigns, then that character may choose one or the other: Heal 1 PT or come to terms with 1MT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.