One Night Ultimate Werewolf» Forums » Rules

Subject: Official Ruling Wanted Concerning Talking During The Night Phase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Bradley
United States
California
flag msg tools
I want an official ruling as to whether or not talking is allowed during the night phase.

Here's why:
I've played this game (with and without the Daybreak expansion roles) with two different groups of people.

The first group is quiet during the night phase. If someone accidentally makes noise during their role's night action, we use that information during the day phase. No one has a problem with that, they just try harder not to do it again.

The second group (mostly my friends) will not stop talking during the night phase, sometimes even while the app is narrating what someone's role may do. I will admit that it can be funny sometimes, but when they do so throughout most, if not all, of the night phase, it's maddening (at least to me).

The second group did just what I described above when we had three new players (this was their first ever game or series of games of ONUW). I think this made it more difficult/confusing for the new players. In one game, my friends distracted me from performing my werewolf role (because I was trying to shush them), which led to the other werewolf player looking at a center card, because she did not see another werewolf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If "hey guys, please don't do that, because I can't hear the instructions" hasn't worked, but you think "hey guys, please don't do that, because I got an official ruling that you can't" will work, then the official ruling of the BGG Court of Opinion is that you should punch the second group in the nuts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
Giant Fire Breathing Robot
badge
gfbrobot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I think talking during the night is more likely to give away your role.

If a player talks the entire time, then it is likely they are a role that didn't wake up. And if they talk except for when one specific role is doing its night action, then it might be that they had to shutup for two seconds while they switched cards or whatever. That's part of why I prefer a quiet village.

That said, a savvy group might use that knowledge for misdirection. YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, asking for an official rule on this is like asking for an official rule to say you can't threaten other players with physical violence after the game if it turns out they were lying to you (albeit much less extreme). It's not really something that is part of the rules of the game, so it's somewhat impossible to have a ruling.

You do have an issue, though, and perhaps the best way to try to solve it is to reach a compromise. Perhaps try replacing the discussion with an action players will do during the night that isn't as distracting as trying to hold conversation. Perhaps using their non-dominant hand to tap their fingers on the table, for example. This will not be hard for newcomers and it helps mask a lot of other noises at the table.

While implementing such procedures, you should definitely be strict on players not talking. If players start to do it, don't try to hush them and move on. Instead, just declare the game void and reshuffle the cards. This should efficiently teach people not to perform the problematic action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
I think talking during the Night Phase should be discouraged, for exactly the reason you mention - new players may not be able to hear the instructions of the Narrator. Even experienced players might miss their turn to wake up because of this.

That said, I don't believe there's anything actually against it. Provided everyone knows the game and can keep up, talking during the Night Phase might even be helpful for covering other noises (the app can be made to play music for the exact same reason.)

Ultimately, I think the answer is "play it how you want to." Neither is right or wrong absolutely, it's up to the group to decide. That being said, you yourself are part of the group, so if you feel strongly about people keeping quiet during the Night Phase, then explain that to the group. If you can't reach an agreement together on how to behave, perhaps you should stop playing ONUW with that group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bradley
United States
California
flag msg tools
McFisticuffs had me laughing hard. Thanks for that.
Thanks to all of you for your time and response. I now have more options to consider for the next time. If my post didn't bring it across, I have a short temper and even less reasoning skills in that frame of mind.

I had considered not playing ONUW with my friends again, but didn't know how to not be a _______ (fill in the blank) about it. They like to play total chaos it seems, but they aren't unreasonable. Hopefully I can use your responses to get them to see reason. Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's also good to note that not every game plays the same way with different groups.

There are some games that I just won't play with certain people because of how they play it. And that's fine. Sometimes you can't just change how people act.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Arguably, the group that really needs punching in the nuts is the one that thinks everybody who plays ONUW has nuts. :-p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My table talks a fair deal at night to create distraction to reduce the chances of the active player accidentally making noise.
We howl sometimes when the wolves are active or say "that's me!" When a role is announced. It gives a few laughs and we have had 0 info unintentionally given away since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
In Resistance/Avalon, we have a player who would often jokingly say "OK" at the "Commander/Merlin, open your eyes" point in the rubric.

I left it a while before I pointed out they only ever did that when they weren't the Commander/Merlin. (-8<

With players who are paying attention, quite a lot of information can leak. Usually, this is in amusing ways that contribute to the game rather than detracting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Takeshi
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simply say -- "The new players can't hear the instructions due to your talking at night".

As Mike points out, there's nothing inherently wrong with this. It's like talking during another player's turn in Dominion. The issue here is that they're making it difficult for the new players to play.

Your next step is to ask the new players if they were able to do their action at night. If not, perform a redeal, until the players get the message. If this happens repeatedly, you can mention that now is probably not the best time for that game, and pull something else out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't discourage fun things like that if your group enjoys them. It sounds like the OP's group is talking over the app with stuff unrelated to the game, though. That type of discussion would indeed be a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Takeshi
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tabletopnut wrote:

I had considered not playing ONUW with my friends again, but didn't know how to not be a _______ (fill in the blank) about it. They like to play total chaos it seems, but they aren't unreasonable. Hopefully I can use your responses to get them to see reason. Thanks again!

It's also worth noting, if they prefer playing something less strategic, you could consider a game like Exploding Kittens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
Arguably, the group that really needs punching in the nuts is the one that thinks everybody who plays ONUW has nuts. :-p

Right, some people are allergic to nuts, and thus cannot have them. But studies show that those people are also never speaking over the narrator in games line ONUWW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
contiguity wrote:
you could consider a game like Exploding Kittens.

Or let them play Exploding Kittens while you sob gently in the corner.

Seriously, there are very few people who won't like something with a bit of depth to it. If they don't like ONUW, try Dixit, Codenames, Articulate, Jenga, Carcassonne, Set, Hanabi, Fluxx, Ingenious...

You may only get one shot at persuading them to play a game you think they'll like, but getting to know them a bit first is always an option. (-8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.