Subject: Few years since it's been first released, and good setup tips? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to play more Suburbia, but the setup for the tile stacks are pretty intimidating. More the randomizing the tile stacks individually, both ways I can think of don't feel right to me. Shuffling all of those tiles separately like cards is hard to do because they're much thicker than cards, while lid shuffling might seem like a good idea but I don't want to accidentally mark them on the corners. I'm just wondering if anyone came up with good ideas to randomize the tiles. I don't think a tile bag would work as you could draw them face up during setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, nothing really. I store the different tiles in ziploc bags, take one tile stack at the time, shuffle the tiles a bit, then make the pile and move on to the next one. Takes me couple of minutes, no problems about it really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmb
Yeah, I do the same. You just have to be careful.

ONE trick I do with most of the games I have (not just this one) is shuffle everything that needs to be shuffled before you put it away for the next time. So, when you start set-up the next time, you know everything's been shuffled well, and can just proceed to the stacking, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of ziplocks, as already mentioned, combined with asking another player to help set everything up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least the game comes with a lot of ziplocks for the base game and maybe both expansions, but I've moved onto the Broken Token insert. Asked both here and twitter, I will go with the 'scrabble shuffle' (all tiles face down and carefully bounced within the lid). Will keep this open for more suggestions . Sadly, the triple tile bag doesn't work with 5Star, at least how I had it mentally set up, which was throw all of the tiles into the bag and use counters or a dial to keep track (Much more strict tile makeups for the stacks), but oh well.

With how I game normally, Kristopher, I think people would rather see the randomization happen instead of pulling out pre-randomized stacks. So, yeah. Thank you for that suggestion though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmb
Well, I also primarily play solo, so I don't really care about seeing it randomized in front of me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.