Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
In summary...

Someone wrote "Suck it up pussies" and is a troll from Asshole Mountain. Liberals over react to troll and call the cops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
POST-IT: "undersad!" Chili's Veteran Threatened

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
It took us a few more years, but I think we have arrived at 1984. Scary shit. And the Liberals are so confused about why they lost they election--they will continue to lose as long as this PC shit continues. I hope we get 3 Antonin Scalia on the Supreme Court and these type of things go to court and get rammed back down the throats of these communists along with multi-million dollar settlements against the college officials.

You need to read 1984, this isn't remotely like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
In summary...

Someone wrote "Suck it up pussies" and is a troll from Asshole Mountain. Liberals over react to troll and call the cops.

In summary . . .

They invited students to share their feelings. When a student shared an unapproved feeling, they gathered together a group of academics to determine what crime had been committed.

Then they called the cops.

In summary . . .

Everything that's wrong with higher education in a nutshell.

I agree it is a serious issue. I would hardly put it at the top of the list. There needs to be a better middle ground.

Does the fact that professors shit themselves over a troll absolve the the troll of being an asshole? Or do I not get it again, please enlighten me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
Does the fact that professors shit themselves over a troll absolve the the troll of being an asshole? Or do I not get it again, please enlighten me.

I don't think they were professors. They were "diversity experts" and other useless bits of academic flotsam which contribute to administrative bloat that causes tuitions to skyrocket.

Fire them all.

If they are hiring extra staff for this they do indeed need to be fired. 'Professors' have the right to be 'nutty'.

But what about the troll?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
Is this the season where we forget that drew posts shitty dishonest stories from shitty dishonest sources?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
But what about the troll?

Troll? The student was invited to shared his/her feelings. There's no issue there. The invitation didn't say "Only anti-Trump feelings may be shared."

Unlike, say, General Mills corporation where post-election all employees were invited to take part in a sort of group therapy session to help them process the election results. All employees except white men.

I guess he could have been polite and just said "fuck off". Does he need to be punished? No. Did he need to be inflammatory? No. Is he a troll? Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
utoption2 wrote:
It took us a few more years, but I think we have arrived at 1984.

i heard that even on bgg 9 year old thread titles are altered because an oversensitive man-child complained to management
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
utoption2 wrote:
It took us a few more years, but I think we have arrived at 1984. Scary shit. And the Liberals are so confused about why they lost they election--they will continue to lose as long as this PC shit continues. I hope we get 3 Antonin Scalia on the Supreme Court and these type of things go to court and get rammed back down the throats of these communists along with multi-million dollar settlements against the college officials.

You need to read 1984, this isn't remotely like it.

In the book 1984 the government promoted views exactly the opposite of reality or common sense. Sort of like nominating a Secretary of Education that has never had a job in education, has fought to move money away from public schools into charter schools, is anti-teacher union, etc.

Maybe utopion2 is onto something after all.

Republicans seem to view the least qualified people as being best for the job these days.

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
windsagio wrote:
Is this the season where we forget that drew posts shitty dishonest stories from shitty dishonest sources?

Well I found a story about it here too https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/201...

Is the Washington Post a dishonest source?

You guys sure hate on Drew for no damned reason other than he is conservative. He's no better or worse than the average person here - and certainly better than a few of the window lickers that frequent this place.

I get the butt hurt that your side lost the election. What is tickling my funny bone how now, more conservatives popped up in RSP post election and your shocked there are more conservatives than you thought so you're just lashing out in anger.

Considering it has the same source as the "Reason" (lol) post, no it's not good journalism.

Here's some other stuff on campusreform's frontpage, for reference:

Quote:
New website exposes liberal prof-pagandists
UNH spares Trump supporters, investigates Women’s Studies program
EDU Secretary urges colleges to double down on social justice
CSU Chancellor pledges to resist immigration enforcement
Liberal law dean resigns after pushing conservatives too far
IU defends purchases of baby brains

I really like this one so it deserves it's own blockquote:

Quote:
OU student group promotes 'kink' with sex toy demonstrations

OMG THEY PROMOTE KINK!

~~

So yeah, I'm not thrilled with the WaPo printing that story from a ludicrously biased source with no evidence of any kind of real fact-checking.

The MSM printing unverified shit is how we got into this mess in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Isn't the obvious problem here not that the note supported Trump, but that it opposed allowing people to share their feelings? I mean, I get that there's a certain segment of the population which wants to paint all liberal actions in a nasty light, but this isn't about support for Trump, it's about disrupting the activity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
Isn't the obvious problem here not that the note supported Trump, but that it opposed allowing people to share their feelings? I mean, I get that there's a certain segment of the population which wants to paint all liberal actions in a nasty light, but this isn't about support for Trump, it's about disrupting the activity.

You make a good point ><

Maybe the real scandal is that we just *assume* the whomever anonymously posted "Suck it, Pussies!" would have to be a Trumpist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
single sentences wrote:
utoption2 wrote:

i heard that even on bgg 9 year old thread titles are altered because an oversensitive man-child complained to management

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
single sentences wrote:
utoption2 wrote:

What's particularly funny about that is all the original replies to the thread still have the original title in the name. Re:<original thread title>

Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
utoption2 wrote:
LaBron wouldn't last 5 minutes against the 1989-1990s Pistons. Laimbeer and Rodman would destroy him.

NBA Basketball these days sux ballz.

ok grandpa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
If you are invited to share your feelings about the election, remember that only some feelings are valid.

http://reason.com/blog/2016/11/23/students-reaction-to-trump...

Quote:
At Edgewood College, police are investigating a post-it-note that was deemed a "hate crime" by college officials.

The post-it-note says "Suck it up, pussies!" Whoever wrote it also drew a winking, tongue-out smiley face, like this:

Quote:
;P

The message is evidently one student's response to the Madison, Wisconsin, college's overwhelming dejection following Donald Trump's election to the presidency.

Students had been invited to express their feelings about the election by writing them on post-it-notes and placing them on a designated table. The post-it-note in question appeared in the window of the Office of Student Diversity and Inclusion instead, according to Campus Reform.

College Vice President Tony Chambers sent a letter to campus condemning this "act of cowardly hatred" and "intimidation." He wrote:

Quote:
A group of cross-functional college staff representing campus security, student conduct, human resources, Title IX enforcement, and diversity and inclusion measures convened Tuesday morning to discuss how to address the hateful message. This group determined that the message constituted a Hate Crime…

College officials informed the Madison police, and now the cops are investigating.

In summary . . .

Quote:
They are investigating a post-it-note.

With a non-threatening message and a smiley face on it.

After inviting students to express their feelings via post-it-note.

It's not for nothing that Madison is called "The Berkeley of the Midwest."

Wrong! How telling that you failed to note the following passage:

Reason.com wrote:
Students had been invited to express their feelings about the election by writing them on post-it-notes and placing them on a designated table. The post-it-note in question appeared in the window of the Office of Student Diversity and Inclusion instead, according to Campus Reform.

Students had been invited to express their feelings *about the election*, NOT ABOUT the opponents of their candidate of choice.

Since Donald Trump alleged that he'd committed sexual assault by "grabbing women by the pussy", the context of the taunting remarks make them egregiously harassive and uncalled for.

The Post-It note was NOT set on the designated table where comments *about the election* were supposed to be place. Instead, it had been posted on the window of the Office of Student Diversity and Inclusion. As such, it constituted a harassive message to that office.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
I have overtext 'cause everyone else was doing it.
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:

LaBron wouldn't last 5 minutes against the 1989-1990s Pistons. Laimbeer and Rodman would destroy him.

Thinking Bill Laimbeer would be a match for LeBron James severely damages your credibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While this does read a bit like a really sad parody of skeletal nonsense, it does kinda seem the crux of the issue is where and how the note was placed (e.g. some place the person who placed it shouldn't have been placing) and not the actual note itself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Waller
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best way to deal with said note:

Nuff said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
If you are invited to share your feelings about the election, remember that only some feelings are valid.

http://reason.com/blog/2016/11/23/students-reaction-to-trump...

Quote:
At Edgewood College, police are investigating a post-it-note that was deemed a "hate crime" by college officials.

The post-it-note says "Suck it up, pussies!" Whoever wrote it also drew a winking, tongue-out smiley face, like this:

Quote:
;P

The message is evidently one student's response to the Madison, Wisconsin, college's overwhelming dejection following Donald Trump's election to the presidency.

College Vice President Tony Chambers sent a letter to campus condemning this "act of cowardly hatred" and "intimidation." He wrote:

Quote:
A group of cross-functional college staff representing campus security, student conduct, human resources, Title IX enforcement, and diversity and inclusion measures convened Tuesday morning to discuss how to address the hateful message. This group determined that the message constituted a Hate Crime…

College officials informed the Madison police, and now the cops are investigating.

In summary . . .

Quote:
They are investigating a post-it-note.

With a non-threatening message and a smiley face on it.

After inviting students to express their feelings via post-it-note.

It's not for nothing that Madison is called "The Berkeley of the Midwest."

Seems like a clearcut 1st amendment issue and I can't see any reason why the police are involved. Seems like an abuse of power to suppress speech.

Only exception I could see is if the board was in an area that the poster couldn't reach without trespassing. Perhaps the act of placing it on the office window instead of the allowed table is the issue? But it sounds like any student could reach the spot where the note was posted.

I agree with them that it was cowardly and hateful. But that's a very low bar for a "hate" crime. Too low I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The real crime is that this is even an activity at a university of higher learning. 30 years from now when the students are still paying off their student loan with a low wage job, they should look back to this moment. What a waste of time and money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I don't think they were professors. They were "diversity experts" and other useless bits of academic flotsam which contribute to administrative bloat that causes tuitions to skyrocket.

Fire them all.

oh look it's Drew reminding us he doesn't know shit about anything all over again

must be Monday
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:

as a lifelong basketball fan let me just say this is literally the wrongest thing you have ever said here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:

You guys sure hate on Drew for no damned reason other than he is conservative.

You're kidding, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

TrustyJules wrote:
Best way to deal with said note:

Nuff said.

Geez! Talk about aiding and abetting the perpetrator!

Could you possibly be less disingenuous next time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.