BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Art and Graphic Design

Subject: Feedback on Icons for Cubes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Davidson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Making some thematic icons to match particular 8mm plastic cubes. I'm not sure if they work, or are better than just blank colors?

The Victory Cubes are blue. I'm also not sure if the "water" cube icons work well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not enough information, but the icons themselves look decent enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True
United States
Seaside
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I like them. I am not sure what I am looking at in the case of the red cube as they look like pyramids and that seems an odd resource....maybe they are dirt and need rounded tops?
Overall, I like the aesthetic.
True
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Davidson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for the positive feedback!

I'm initially looking for feedback on the icons matching the particular cubes, without needing context. But for those interested: Red are meat to be mountains. The icons/cubes are acquired at locations and spent at encounters at the same locations. The game WIP Thread: Sita.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The icon for the smoke-coloured cube doesn't work for me - it suggests too much blue, so I'd more-readily associate it with a blue cube. It would probably work better if the icon were a bit more desaturated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Windischer
Austria
Innsbruck
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would swap the grey with the blue cube and add a little bit more colour to the water icon. This way you would have the uncoloured cubes for the VP, while the coloured cubes all have a similar function.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Davidson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Some good points to consider.

The dilemma is thematic. The Rama Victory Cubes are blue. In the narrative of the game that is very significant. But that left the water/"river"/"ocean" cube to be the clear/smokey cube. But I still want the icon to symbolize water.

How big a problem is that icon?

If it has to be changed, I would remove the "water" icon and make the clear one something else. Unfortunately, it's already on the River, Beach, Mermaids, etc. cards.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would make the water icon grey as the cube -- that's not a problem, it's connected color-wise and the ocean isn't really deep blue anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Kocurek
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I agree. I don't think the water icon being too blue is the problem. If you desaturate the water icon to match the cube or possibly darken the victory point cube I think that it could work. As far as the symbols go I think they work pretty well. Im assuming the red is mountains or earth but not positive on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Chen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I think they look pretty fun. I would consider making the "any" icon more interesting. Maybe rainbow colored or also some sort of symbol?

This might not be possible, but I would also consider making VP not a cube at all or a different size. It just seems too likely to be confused with the other resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.