Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the basic game, there are only 15 NVA counters.

Last game I played, Region 1 (the one adjacent to trail areas Hanoi and Haiphong) just kept filling up with 2 NVA units each turn as I ignored the trail markers in those 2 trail areas.

Late in the game, since there were something like a dozen NVA units in region 1, no more were populating in the NVA spawn phase. This actually helped me as I had an easier time keeping regions 2-5 in check.

Is this correct? I assume so but it seemed to make it a little too easy. It seems odd that the NVA units in region 1 wouldn't just "take the trail" down to fight in an area where there are enemies.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
Lines of Battle: Quatre Bras 1815. Brunswick hussar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Try this variant: Optional NVA deployment rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi David,

Thanks for the link. It looks like that variant is for the advanced game, whereas my question is about the original rules.

I am playing around with some ways to make the basic game a little more tense. I am going to try using the VC placement rules and the NVA relocation rules from the special edition rules to see how that works. Since you advance the PP marker when you lose combat units in the basic game, I have to be careful not to make it too hard.

Really cool game. I'm enjoying this one as well as your excellent Solitaire Caesar. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played my last five or six (basic, original rules) games using the rules as written with 2 additions:

1) if during the VC placement phase you have to re-roll the region due to the first roll being either a 6 or a region devoid of US/ARVN units, then re-roll as usual but place 2 VC units instead of 1. (This is a slightly modified version of the VC placement rules from the Special Edition. I like the possibility that more than one VC can pop up; it also punishes you for leaving regions completely under NVA control.)

2) while placing NVA from the trail markers, if you cannot place any from the stock because all 15 NVA counters are already in play, AND there are one or more regions containing NVA units that are devoid of US/ARVN units, then place NVA markers by removing them from these regions, starting with areas that contain the most NVA units.
(The NVA units are "taking the trail" to find the enemy. This rule means you cannot escape engaging the NVA by simply letting them fill up region one.)

It's working well so far. Definitely increased the difficulty without making it too much so.

Really enjoying this game! I love that it sets up in minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.