Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: Sniper protection rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Bradley
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, that's hilarious. A certain BGG user tagged my auction as "sniper_discrimination". Sure got that right. Loud and proud. My auctions will always protect those who can't afford to hover over their computer counting the seconds till the auction ends. I've been there done that with ebay, and while it gave a thrill to snipe in at the last second, and often allowed me to come away with a great deal, I hate having my items stolen away at the last second when I'm unable to hover at the auction closing time because I have a life. Hopefully other BGG users appreciate this even if some do not.

Posted here for BGG users to sound off--what do you think about extending auctions after last minute bids?
Poll
Would you ever refuse to bid in a BGG auction SOLELY because the auction had protections against sniping (typically by extending the auction for last-minute bids)?
yes
maybe
no
      136 answers
Poll created by Pandakai
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ley
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I wouldn't refuse but I feel sometimes sniper protection causes sniping. I recently bid on an auction that had a vague end time. i.e. ~10. I had a bid at 8:30 and there was no other bids at 10:15 when I went to bed. I woke up and found a bid at 11:15 won the auction. So I wish there was a hard stop so I could have known my bid was winning when I went to sleep.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Bradley
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think vague end times are that effective. I keep my auction items open until 12 hours passes with no new bids. That way all interested parties have the chance to respond.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Sniper Discrimination?" Is he trying to take the power from the term?

As far as I'm concerned "Sniper Discrimination" is a good thing. It's kind of like when people complain that places are discriminating against smokers; it's more like they are pro- everyone else
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fearsome beasts and where to find
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
Avatar
mbmbmb
Have the people who complain about sniping tried not bidding less than they are actually willing to pay?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think extending it five minutes or something per bid could be okay. Id be annoyed at people sayin they might extend it until the wee hours of the morning. Thats an even bigger waste of time.

Ending at random times is good too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure the guy was making a joke too
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
Have the people who complain about sniping tried not bidding less than they are actually willing to pay?


BGG's auctions are counterintuitive to how an auction is supposed to function.

On Ebay you can place your max bid and it increases only when others bid against you. In that situation what you're saying is absolutely true. Bid your highest and forget it and don't complain if you get sniped.

In a real time auction everyone bidding is present in some form. They bid until they don't want to bid any higher. Again, if you lose you were outbid, but you are free and motivated to go up to your maximum price should the need arise.

Neither of these are possible with BGG's auctions. This means of course people aren't going to bid their highest amount. What you're asking for is for people to not act normally, to not even try to get a deal or bargain.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A few months ago I participated in an auction with a vague time end and no policy to deal with snipes. One of the games I was bidding on received a bid that was $1 higher than mine and the person running the auction immediately ended the auction. The game sold well below market value and I was willing and ready to go higher.

A vague end time with no policy for sniping harms sellers probably more than buyers. If a seller is going to end an auction 1 minute after a bid is received then they must not be interested in getting more money for their games. Plus, it pisses off the bidders. I know I was po'd.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
A ghillie suit?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Long
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't like sniping, something twisted about that kind of behavior. I can understand wanting a deal but just bid and let the market do its work. But just to stalk an item for last second bid...there's something wrong with that.

Ive had that happen on ebay numerous times. and yea I was watching the item, had placed lots of bids myself but I guess its all legal. So anyway "Now I see the violence inherent in the system, help help Im being repressed"

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
buseyhead wrote:
Don't like sniping, something twisted about that kind of behavior. I can understand wanting a deal but just bid and let the market do its work. But just to stalk an item for last second bid...there's something wrong with that.

Ive had that happen on ebay numerous times. and yea I was watching the item, had placed lots of bids myself but I guess its all legal. So anyway "Now I see the violence inherent in the system, help help Im being repressed"



Whole lotta stuff about nothing. Bid your highest and walk away. If someone tops your highest... everybody wins.

Yes, I know that really isn't an auction - but more, "here is my maximum" .. but then BGG auctions aren't really auctions, which is why I rarely bid on them anymore and one shouldn't consider them auctions.






 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandakai wrote:
I don't think vague end times are that effective. I keep my auction items open until 12 hours passes with no new bids. That way all interested parties have the chance to respond.


I stay away from those endless auction times... it only takes one idiot to keep extending the close time - usually at a $1 per bump. I got more money, than time, so BINs or fairly expected closing times are more important.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Long
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I say boy I say still dont like snipers I still dont. But i say boy I say ebay ain't no auction I mean them boys there are just like taxes they just don't know when to stop.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fearsome beasts and where to find
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
Avatar
mbmbmb
travvller wrote:
Kaffedrake wrote:
Have the people who complain about sniping tried not bidding less than they are actually willing to pay?


On Ebay you can place your max bid and it increases only when others bid against you. In that situation what you're saying is absolutely true. Bid your highest and forget it and don't complain if you get sniped.

Neither of these are possible with BGG's auctions.


Sorry, I had assumed BGG auctions allowed you to set a max bid. If that's not possible, then it should not be in the interest of sellers to close while there might still be interested bidders. But I'm still a little confused since multiple posters in this thread have referred to eBay sniping.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
travvller wrote:
Kaffedrake wrote:
Have the people who complain about sniping tried not bidding less than they are actually willing to pay?


On Ebay you can place your max bid and it increases only when others bid against you. In that situation what you're saying is absolutely true. Bid your highest and forget it and don't complain if you get sniped.

Neither of these are possible with BGG's auctions.


Sorry, I had assumed BGG auctions allowed you to set a max bid. If that's not possible, then it should not be in the interest of sellers to close while there might still be interested bidders. But I'm still a little confused since multiple posters in this thread have referred to eBay sniping.


I believe they are just voicing their displeasure with the past snipes on eBay conducted against them... so like PTSD when the BGG version of sniping gets discussed.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Bradley
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Pandakai wrote:
I don't think vague end times are that effective. I keep my auction items open until 12 hours passes with no new bids. That way all interested parties have the chance to respond.


I stay away from those endless auction times... it only takes one idiot to keep extending the close time - usually at a $1 per bump. I got more money, than time, so BINs or fairly expected closing times are more important.

I suppose in theory but that's never happened in any of my auctions and I've done a lot.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandakai wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
Pandakai wrote:
I don't think vague end times are that effective. I keep my auction items open until 12 hours passes with no new bids. That way all interested parties have the chance to respond.


I stay away from those endless auction times... it only takes one idiot to keep extending the close time - usually at a $1 per bump. I got more money, than time, so BINs or fairly expected closing times are more important.

I suppose in theory but that's never happened in any of my auctions and I've done a lot.


I had one extend two days... finally gave up. Main reason I stay away from these long-time auto-extends and focus on BINs.

To each his own and good luck with your auction (s).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
This wouldn't be the only reason I would pass on an auction, but I must say I prefer them with concrete end dates.

travvller wrote:
A few months ago I participated in an auction with a vague time end and no policy to deal with snipes. One of the games I was bidding on received a bid that was $1 higher than mine and the person running the auction immediately ended the auction. The game sold well below market value and I was willing and ready to go higher.

A vague end time with no policy for sniping harms sellers probably more than buyers. If a seller is going to end an auction 1 minute after a bid is received then they must not be interested in getting more money for their games. Plus, it pisses off the bidders. I know I was po'd.


Very well could have been a friend covering for him/her. If they think it's not going to hit market value for whatever reason they just have a friend bid, close the auction immediately after that, then not actually complete the deal. Wait until their next auction and try again. Not saying this was the case, but it's certainly not unheard of.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.