7 Posts

Star Trek: The Dice Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Locked dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Istvan Fazakas
msg tools
Hi

Question: What if i locked all my dice to events and i dont have any more dice? Than what? Ok, lets say i have dice locked in on Alien Entity but can i take them off from it?

2 question: If dice results cant be assigned to a station, because that station is in a lock down, those dice are lost and back in the quarters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
warlord76 wrote:
Hi

Question: What if i locked all my dice to events and i dont have any more dice? Than what? Ok, lets say i have dice locked in on Alien Entity but can i take them off from it?

2 question: If dice results cant be assigned to a station, because that station is in a lock down, those dice are lost and back in the quarters?

Second question yes they are lost and back to quarters unless you have some way to reroll it or you have an extra duty station of that type. Both are developments.

First question is unclear. In the game this descends from at the end of a turn you can recall dice that are locked in. So in that case one would think you could recall any dice that are locked in and not have NO dice to roll. Also in that game (Deep Space D-6) if you can't gather any dice to roll, you lose the game. I can't find that rule here though so I'm not sure there is an official ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Istvan Fazakas
msg tools
Ok. thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl White
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
warlord76 wrote:

You can decide during the Cleanup phase to take as many Locked In Crew Dice back to Quarters as you like. I thought that was in the rules but rereading them I don't see it.

warlord76 wrote:

That's correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
carlwhite wrote:
warlord76 wrote:

You can decide during the Cleanup phase to take as many Locked In Crew Dice back to Quarters as you like. I thought that was in the rules but rereading them I don't see it.

warlord76 wrote:

That's correct.

Carl, did you intend for the player to lose the game if he runs out of dice? With 10 dice I expect that is a LOT harder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl White
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:

Carl, did you intend for the player to lose the game if he runs out of dice? With 10 dice I expect that is a LOT harder.

There are two ways to lose the game:

* Fail two missions in a row
* Have no remaining crew available to deploy

I've lost plenty of games to both routes, probably more to the latter. Running out of dice mainly happens when damage gets out of control; if you lose all shields and hull any subsequent damage is inflicted on crew, sending them to Sickbay, and if the damage dealing events have got out of control that can quite quickly snowball and wipe everybody out. Dice trapped on event cards such as Alien Entity or Alien Parasites can contribute to this sort of loss too.

As I've got better at the game I've learned to predict what is likely to lead to these situations and make better decisions over where to assign my dice to prevent the dreaded doom spiral.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the game was easier than it actually is. My current game is demonstrating how things can go wrong shake Lots of bad rolls. Lots of threat rolls. Lots of HUGE numbers of a particular station roll etc. Threats build up.

Still fun but after 3 years in the current game, I had to take a break from the pressure.

The difference between this game and DSD6 is the missions and the developments especially. The missions give the game focus and the developments allow you to bank capabilities to use later (which helps you mitigate bad dice some). It's the only reason I'm still hanging on in my current game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.