Subject: Starter League #15 (December) - COMPLETE (Base Set + Guardians) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick Reference wrote:
This league is COMPLETE.

1st place - alduc chooses Secret Wars vol 2 (and Dark City)

2nd place - dr00 chooses to exclude Everybody Hates Deadpool.

Only the Legendary Base Set and Guardians of the Galaxy expansions are allowed.

January's League will feature HYDRA Bob Deadpool, with the first match due on January 9th.

Welcome to another month and another Starter League! If you've been looking to play in one of the Legendary Leagues here on the site, but you've only got the base set, and maybe an expansion or two, I'm here for you!

If you're new to the "Starter Leagues," these are going to be limited to the Heroes Base Set and up to 1 Expansion. Each league will run for only 3 matches, reducing the amount of time you'll need to finish or catch up if you need to. A new league will start each month, so you'll always have an opportunity to play! Winners gain the ability to set the terms for a future league.

Format
A new Starter league will be posted near the beginning of each month. Some leagues will only use a base set, while others may include 1 expansion set as well. There will be 3 matches in the league, so that it will end within the same month. Each match will have a randomly determined setup, allowing you to pick some of the heroes you'll use to fight the Mastermind.

In Match 1 and 3, you'll pick 2 heroes from those available in the league's sets.
In Match 2, you'll pick 1 hero.

(You can only pick a hero once, so you can't choose to include Spider-Man in Match 1 and 2, for example. The app will present you with a list of options and automatically filter out your previous selections when you attempt to post your results so you don't mess it up.)

Results will be ranked using the Points Per Turn method. So rather than calculating your score using the formula in the back of the rulebook, the app will determine the average amount of points you earned over the number of turns you played the game. Accumulating points as you defeat the Mastermind quickly is key!

More information about the ranking can be seen on the website.

How to Play
To play, head over to http://www.legendaryleagues.com and register an account if you need one using the link in the top right. Then, after logging in, select the league from the front page, then click the Register button from the league details screen!

All games will be played using the Advanced Solo Rules from the Dark City expansion. If you don't have it, those rules (and some other clarifications) are listed on the website. Also, look out for match specific clarifications at the bottom of each match block!

You should only play each match once and report your results.

You'll need to keep track of the following to report your results:
Did you win? (Generally, this means did you defeat the mastermind, but some Schemes have alternate win conditions, like Forge the Infinity Gauntlet.)
How many victory points are in your victory pile?
How many twists did you draw during the match? (And stayed out, in case some get shuffled back in the deck. Also, do not count any twists that started in play.)
How many enemies escaped?
How many bystanders were carried away by enemies?
How many rounds did it take for you to finish the match?
Which non-random heroes did you use?

Prizes

The player who finishes in 1st place will get to choose the expansion included in the month after next's league. (So February, not January.)

You have Dark City and want to use that? Okay. You only got the Guardians expansion? No problem. Want to spice it up and mix in the Villains set? I like your style. (Civil War has yet to get picked. Just sayin'.)

The player who finishes in 2nd place will get to choose one card/group from the Mastermind's side to guarantee as included or excluded in the match of their choice.

You hate the Negative Zone, and don't want it used as a scheme? I don't blame you. Let's pitch it. You love the Nega-Bomb? So do I! It's in! Does anyone read this? The first person to quote this part gets 5 geekgold. You think using Dark City demands fighting Apocalypse in Match 2 where the players have less choice? Wow, that's hard core, but okay.

As always, let me know if you have any questions, and have fun playing!

Match Lineup:

Match 1 - Due Monday night, 2016-12-05
Mastermind: Thanos
Scheme: Forge the Infinity Gauntlet
Villain Group: Infinity Gems
Henchmen: (3) Savage Land Mutates
Heroes: Star Lord
You may select 2 additional Heroes from the list of available Heroes.

Max Turn Count: 21
Max VP: 61
Villain Deck Contents: 8 Infinity Gems, 3 Savage Land Mutates, 5 Strikes, 8 Twists, 1 Bystander

Match 2 - Due Monday night, 2016-12-12
Mastermind: Supreme Intelligence of the Kree
Scheme: Intergalactic Kree Negabomb
Villain Group: Kree Starforce
Henchmen: (3) Sentinels
Heroes: Drax, Groot
You may select 1 additional Hero from the list of available Heroes.

Max Turn Count: 21
Max VP: 82
Villain Deck Contents: 8 Kree Starforce, 3 Sentinels, 5 Strikes, 8 Twists, 1 Bystander

Match 3 - Due Monday night, 2016-12-19
Mastermind: Dr. Doom
Scheme: The Kree-Skrull War
Villain Group: Kree Starforce, Skrulls
Henchmen: (3) Doombot Legion
Heroes: Rocket Raccoon
You may select 2 additional Heroes from the list of available Heroes.

Max Turn Count: 30
Max VP: 97
Villain Deck Contents: 8 Kree Starforce, 8 Skrulls, 3 Doombot Legion, 5 Strikes, 8 Twists, 1 Bystander

Have fun! Or at least try to have fun on match #1. It looks rough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bri beleren
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Starter League #15 (December) - NOW OPEN (Base Set + Guardians)
its probably pretty moot asking this, but I might as well make sure, assuming the theme is you are using only cards from these 2 sets, that would mean no sidekicks or grievous wounds correct? also it mentions not being able to pick the same hero twice, but what if that hero is the pre selected hero of another match, example match one has starlord, does that mean I cant use starlord in match 2 or 3, or is it an exception from where it was pre determined?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No extra cards (sidekicks, special bystanders, etc.) are allowed this month. The league page on the website will list them if they are.

You can still choose anyone who is already preselected in another match. If you're ever unsure, you can go to the screen where you post your results for a match and verify who is available in the drop down list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, remember: no other Bystanders either, not just the Specials. Only the base game's 30.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yay i have these!

in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey Hensel
msg tools
Scheme: Forge the Ifinity Gauntlet. I'm assuming if you control 4 infinity gem artifacts you still win in solo mode even without defeating the mastermind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to this, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
discostu1001 wrote:
Scheme: Forge the Ifinity Gauntlet. I'm assuming if you control 4 infinity gem artifacts you still win in solo mode even without defeating the mastermind.

Yes. You're evil, but you still win. I've been anticipating this one since the beginning.

Quote:

You'll need to keep track of the following to report your results:
Did you win? (Generally, this means did you defeat the mastermind, but some Schemes have alternate win conditions, like Forge the Infinity Gauntlet.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James A.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
Does anyone read this? The first person to quote this part gets 5 geekgold.

Do I get 5 GeekGold? blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A winner is you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very sneaky of you!

I had some time last night so played the first match and I'm "happy" to report, I maintain my perfect No-Win record against Thanos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mills
United Kingdom
Forest Row
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know we are supposed to play this only once but this was a headache keeping track of everything, I restarted twice realizing I was forgetting things, the second time it was that shards increase the attack of villains, I was busting every gem for six and what a deck I had! But I thought it wasn't fair.

The third time the villain deck ran out, is this possible or did I loose track of my turns? My brain got cooked

Well I lost on the last turn four short of hitting Thanos the final time. His third or forth MS took Thor's rare which was my main killing machine until that point, I remember laughing how powerful I was, I remember my heart, golden, bursting with glory's hope, I remember crying in disbelief and falling to my knees at the fallibility of all human endeavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey Hensel
msg tools
If you had the time gem reentering the city a lot it would clear the deck pretty quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James A.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Time Gem's "take another turn" effect can only be used once in a given game (occurs upon defeating it the first time) - I think it's the same for solo. Shouldn't affect the game turns (points) all that much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You would still count it as a turn, even if you take an extra turn. It's fairly meaningless in solo.

The ambush effect to play an extra villain card, on the other hand, can run though the villain deck pretty quickly if it keeps getting stolen back and reentering the city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mills
United Kingdom
Forest Row
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:

You would still count it as a turn, even if you take an extra turn. It's fairly meaningless in solo.

The ambush effect to play an extra villain card, on the other hand, can run though the villain deck pretty quickly if it keeps getting stolen back and reentering the city.

Ah now, here is something I have never done in any game when a villain re-enters the city, to play any ambush again¡ this never occurred to me!

Regarding the Time Gem, to take another turn is what you do anyway, you still need to play a villain card don't you?

I have to confess later in the evening as I re read the rules once more I realised I had played something wrong. With The hero artifacts I continued to use their Superpower Abilities to activate other cards later in the game, but I had packed up the game and I was mentally "cooked". As I had already posted my results and that I had lost I let it be. Let me know if I should re play or take a penalty on a score.

I haven't played GotG for at least a year due to all the fiddly bits, but I should as I really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to the next one (hopefully not making any mistakes)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
usuba wrote:

Regarding the Time Gem, to take another turn is what you do anyway, you still need to play a villain card don't you?

for all intents and purposes, 'take another turn after this one' can be completely ignored in solo. yes, it's what you do anyway, and yes, you play a turn as normal since it is a normal turn just like any other
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mills
United Kingdom
Forest Row
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dr00 wrote:
usuba wrote:

for all intents and purposes, 'take another turn after this one' can be completely ignored in solo. yes, it's what you do anyway, and yes, you play a turn as normal since it is a normal turn just like any other

yep cool thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mills
United Kingdom
Forest Row
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
discostu1001 wrote:
If you had the time gem reentering the city a lot it would clear the deck pretty quickly.

okay I understand, the Ambush effect takes effect and you play another villain deck card, hence if it re-enters another villain card is playedetc

I've counted out the villain deck and I think it is not possible to have 21 turns, 25 cards with 6 with play another card = 20 possible turns. Am I right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play the Time Gem as an artifact on the last turn of the game, you still take another turn, even though the villain deck is empty. You get a final extra turn to avoid the game ending in a draw. It's the only time extra turns matter in solo. (The same ruling exists for Dr. Doom.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
If you play the Time Gem as an artifact on the last turn of the game, you still take another turn, even though the villain deck is empty. You get a final extra turn to avoid the game ending in a draw. It's the only time extra turns matter in solo. (The same ruling exists for Dr. Doom.)
is there an official response to this anywhere?

i believe you, but it seems completely at odds with how i'd play it normally, so i'd like to see if they gave some rationale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the compiled FAQ:

Quote:
Masterminds
Q: Does a player get to play another turn if they defeat the Dr. Doom: Secrets of Time Travel Tactic and it is the final Tactic card?

A: Yes. Further, the players have already won by defeating the fourth Mastermind Tactic so any effect that would cause evil to win during the extra turn is too late: the Heroes have already won. For example, while playing a game with the Portals to the Dark Dimension a player defeats Secrets of Time Travel as the final tactic to play another turn. During that extra turn, the card drawn from the Villain Deck is the Seventh Scheme Twist, which would normally cause evil to win the game, but since this extra turn occurs after the final Mastermind Tactic is defeated the Heroes still won the game. (http://boardgamegeek.com/article/12783849#12783849) – Devin Low

Even though you reach a state where the game is over, you still take the extra turn. In this example, you've won and Doom can't change that. For our match, the game is about to end in a draw. I would say that if you can defeat Thanos in the extra turn, you've achieved a win state.

From further up in the FAQ:

Quote:
Q: If the players play the last card from the Villain Deck (assuming it does not fulfill an Evil Wins condition of the current scheme) and then defeat the final Mastermind Tactic that turn does the game end in a draw or do the players pull off a last turn victory?

A: The players achieve a last turn victory. Playing the last card from the Villain deck means that at the end of that turn the game will end in a draw unless the players can pull off a victory before the end of the turn, which defeating the final Mastermind Tactic triggers immediately. (http://boardgamegeek.com/article/11047741#11047741) – Devin Low
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
yeah, i had seen those. i confused myself reading your initial interpretation of it; i was thinking of those schemes with text like 'Twist 8: Evil wins!'

i agree that the extra turn lets you achieve a last-last-turn victory to prevent a draw but doesn't help you win if evil had already won from some other condition

anyway, going to stop derailing now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm amazed at the win rate in these leagues! Especially against guys like Thanos!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. Steev Ramsdell
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I got relatively lucky in this one with an early Sentient Starship draw. Combined with two of Star Lord's "gain a shard" artifacts and a "draw a card" artifact; and Drax' "+1 attack" artifact--towards the end of the game, I was gaining 9 shards a turn for free. Doubling up on the starship at least once, and I managed to kill Thanos once using nothing but Shards.

One thing I did, however, which I'm not sure if it was correct or not--on one of the Master Strikes, I bound a Soul Gem -- I wasn't thinking that I would win if I had 4 of the gems, so I was actively trying to keep them out of my control. I used Drax to discard one, bound a second, and had one get discarded by a tactic.

Still, did much better in this one than I thought I would...and I'm enjoying my probably limited time on top of the leaderboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.