Subject: World Chess Championship is a Dead Heat with 2 Games to Go! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Tortorice
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It started out as a boring championship with seven straight draws, but then Karjakin suddenly scored a win in game eight. Carlsen drew game nine but won game 10 to tie the match! Two games left to determine the championship!

From WorldChess.com:

https://worldchess.com/2016/11/25/world-ch-game-10--magnus-c...

Quote:
Though Magnus Carlsen is Norwegian, he celebrated the American holiday of Thanksgiving on Thursday by winning Game 10 of his World Championship match against Sergey Karjakin, the Russian challenger.

By winning the game, Carlsen evened the score at 5 points apiece in the best-of-12 match. The match, which is being held in the South Street Seaport in New York City, has a prize fund of about $1.1 million.

I would love to see an upset against Carlsen. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's more that Carlsen committed suicide in game eight rather than Karjakin winning it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Colinton
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
The Game's About Glory
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Anyone currently other than Carlsen as World Champion would be a retrograde step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Tortorice
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dirk_M wrote:
It's more that Carlsen committed suicide in game eight rather than Karjakin winning it.

I never got a chance to play through that game with all the T-Day prep this past week. But I heard that Carlsen wasn't at his best in that game.

notquitekarpov wrote:
Agreed. Anyone currently other than Carlsen as World Champion would be a retrograde step.

I just like it when everyone expects A but gets B. LOL! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the first 7 games, Carlsen had 2 chances to win (games 3 & 4) but failed to convert because of some inspired defensive play by Karjakin, and Karjakin pressed in game 5 and made team Carlsen a little more than nervous. I would not categorize those games as "boring" chess.

Looking forward to today's finale, and hopefully another "boring" draw so we get tiebreaks on Wednesday.

That should be exciting.

Team Karjakin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Barlowe
United States
Clarks Summit
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What was the outcome?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Tucker
South Korea
Seoul
flag msg tools
designer
(This space intentionally left blank.)
badge
What is the good life?
mbmbmbmbmb
It went to tie breaks. The first two were draws, then Magnus Carlsen won two to retain the title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Barlowe
United States
Clarks Summit
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!

Congrats MC!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.