Subject: How accessible is BGG.com on a 56K modem? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I met some folks who grew up in more rural areas, or otherwise remote areas that can only get 56.6K modems at best for internet access.

I don't know if BoardGameGeek.com is even doable on such a connection. I'm guessing it's possible, but it's slow enough that wouldn't want to spend much time on it anyways. Wondering if somebody could provide a more definitive answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domenic
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I met some folks who grew up in more rural areas, or otherwise remote areas that can only get 56.6K modems at best for internet access.

I don't know if BoardGameGeek.com is even doable on such a connection. I'm guessing it's possible, but it's slow enough that wouldn't want to spend much time on it anyways. Wondering if somebody could provide a more definitive answer!

I saw your question and thought: surely someone has made a tool to do this. Apparently the answer is fiddler: https://www.telerik.com/download/fiddler
I haven't tried it, but it sounds like you should be able to use it to see how the site would load on a 56K modem. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd wager that BGG would be almost completely unusable at that speed, unless there is a greatly streamlined and simplified presentation for mobile devices that they could tap into.

Heck, I'd just about go for that myself -- even with my hot internet connection and decent computers, I spend a lot of time waaaaiting for BGG to load pages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you loaded the full 1.6 MB that was transferred when I loaded this page right here, that'd take nearly 4 minutes on a 56K running full speed.

But anyone with a 56k modem should really be using a browser that's turning off images, disabling scripts, and a lot else if they want any portion of the modern web to be usable.

Using textise.net, this page loaded under 30KB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmb
Is this a necro-thread from 1999?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
No. I actually did run into folks recently (within the last year) who said they were stuck on a 56K modem, until they moved to where they are now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Culp
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some rural areas of the US that still dont have broadband. My mother lives in a rural area and couldn't get anything other than modem access to the internet until just a couple of years ago. Now she has wireless, it isn't great but it is still better than a 56K modem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb

Get down with that 56K.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Run it on Brave to 86 all the extraneous and it's pretty quick. Or run it on Opera with the Data Savings mode wired down and things are much quicker too. Opera drops web page sizes by about 75% without much loss in quality.

By the way this entire page is 48KB on my browser, with cached images already loaded of course.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

I have a friend that lives in a rural area and only has dial up. He doesn't like to use BGG on Dial up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
No. I actually did run into folks recently (within the last year) who said they were stuck on a 56K modem, until they moved to where they are now.

Heck, we cable internet connection had gotten so expensive that we have been thinking about cutting ours off. May have already if we could go to dial up, but We've already cut off the landline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Heck, we cable internet connection had gotten so expensive that we have been thinking about cutting ours off. May have already if we could go to dial up, but We've already cut off the landline.
Landline as in landline phone? TBF, many people have gotten rid of that. However, in lieu of decent internet connection, that sounds like a different situation now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Landline as in landline phone? TBF, many people have gotten rid of that. However, in lieu of decent internet connection, that sounds like a different situation now.

Almost all my family and many of my friends still have landlines. They are a bit upset that I cut it off.

DSL would require me to have that line. So, if I cut the cable I'll have to go to Cell Phone teathering. (which might work ok for the rest of the family until throttled, but I don't have a smart phone.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lynx is a text only browser. The main BGG page is 14 text pages long in a console screen of 54 lines. Here is a screen shot of the first page.

There are no pictures, but you can read the pages if you are patient. And of course text loads quickly. BGG does not seem to be very Lynx-friendly, which is almost always the case with any website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor S.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

Thankfully, I have no idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eerk Katerman
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Google Chrome you can simulate slow download speeds, under "inspect > network". See screenshot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.