Chris Keates
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So according to FedEx, my King's Pledge is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

I've watched SUSD's review of this, and I've been skimming these forums trying to understand what is required to learn the game correctly...

What have you done to prepare for your sessions of this game? Is reading the rules, plus the rules clarifications here, enough?

I'm assuming I'll have about 3-4 hours from game delivery to game night starting...any thoughts would be appreciated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Keates
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh and I forgot to add...I see that I can download the Heroes/Overlord books from the website, are these both the rule books that come in the box? Are they at all updated to include clarifications/fixes? Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked before...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Croquet
France
flag msg tools
mb
themothman421 wrote:
Oh and I forgot to add...I see that I can download the Heroes/Overlord books from the website, are these both the rule books that come in the box? Are they at all updated to include clarifications/fixes? Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked before...

No, the rule books contain some mistakes. Several threads here on BGG list them but the new version of the rulebook is only available in french now. The english version has not yet been made/released.
If you read a few threads, you should be good to go. Be careful though because opening and sorting game elements takes time (and finding a way to put everything back in the box afterwards can be a challenge).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Keates
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoum wrote:
themothman421 wrote:

No, the rule books contain some mistakes. Several threads here on BGG list them but the new version of the rulebook is only available in french now. The english version has not yet been made/released.
If you read a few threads, you should be good to go. Be careful though because opening and sorting game elements takes time (and finding a way to put everything back in the box afterwards can be a challenge).

Thanks, Simon. I've got some Planos ready for this beast, so hopefully I can figure it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can almost take the game out of the box and just play (punch a few cardboard things you need and look through some cards and pick the ones you use). It does not take much time, really. Even sorting the whole thing does not take that long.

The biggest hurdle will be learning the game. I suggest watching some tutorial/playthrough/review videos in preparation.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you preselect the scenario, you can get them as pdf from the web page too, then you already have a list of the stuff you need right away, which will be only a fraction of the content and reduces the need to sort out all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It took me a couple of hours to read the rules and separate the counters from the base game. It took me the better part of a scenario to get everything settled in my head for teaching the game to others (I played both sides).

One cool thing I really enjoyed is how the tactics shift to the situation fro turn to turn. Have a plan and be ready to deviate from that plan. I really enjoy the game.

Yes the rules could be a little tighter and the wording on some of the cards could be better but it is pretty much all there. I think there were only two threads that I consulted to clear things up in my head and both have multiple copies because, apparently, some people cannot read or search.

It might be a bit overwhelming at first. Lots of newish concepts and lots of parts. Take photos of the minis in the trays before you take them out to play - It is MUCH easier to fit them back in when you are done! Everything fits back in - I found that discarding the "useless" tray with the cards really helped provide room to put everything back in. Enjoy sorting the OL tiles - Probably easier to just punch the few that you need for the first scenario (Noting that half of them are in French and half in English so you only need half of them!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some really good reference sheets from some of the good folks at BGG that cover all the basic rules and correct some of the things that are wrong in the rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
It is possible. Maybe you can pre-select one or two scenarios that are using components from the core box only, and not from the KS exclusive box. This way, you will only have to unbox and punch out tiles from the core box, saving you time.

And since you pre-select scenarios, you can read them up and read the rules before the game night. So you will be ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.