Con Sequence
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have several questions regarding the special assignment card 'Festival of Magic' played for a magician who is then placed on the stage of the theater.

1a) May the magician forfeit the effect of the card? - My guess: yes (the rules state 'always')

1b) When may magician forfeit the effect of the card? - My guess: the moment she is placed (the rules state 'when the character is placed')

2) If the Magician forfeits the effect she will actually gain one action point. Can she then use this action point to place or move a trick? - My guess: no (the rules state 'performing is the only action a magician placed on the stage can take')

Thank you for your thoughts, consensus and/or protest (or maybe an official ruling by the ingenious inventors of this game?)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Special Assignment Cards - Forfeit Ruling - Magician Performing in Theater Using 'Festival of Magic'
seqcon wrote:
I have several questions regarding the special assignment card 'Festival of Magic' played for a magician who is then placed on the stage of the theater.

1a) May the magician forfeit the effect of the card? - My guess: yes (the rules state 'always')

1b) When may magician forfeit the effect of the card? - My guess: the moment she is placed (the rules state 'when the character is placed')

2) If the Magician forfeits the effect she will actually gain one action point. Can she then use this action point to place or move a trick? - My guess: no (the rules state 'performing is the only action a magician placed on the stage can take')

Thank you for your thoughts, consensus and/or protest (or maybe an official ruling by the ingenious inventors of this game?)!

what is the exact text of the card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con Sequence
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Special Assignment Cards - Forfeit Ruling - Magician Performing in Theater Using 'Festival of Magic'
Festival of Magic wrote:
After the 'Performance' phase, all remaining [trick symbol] are removed from the Theater, and their Yields are paid to their owners. Yield modifiers apply.

And there is a '1 Action Point' marker at the bottom right as usual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D
msg tools
1a. Yes. It would work as a basic theater assignment card.

1b. I would think that it would be able to be forfeited at any time. But I see the argument for at placement only.

2. No. The extra point is lost like the 3 on the magician token. There are no actions requiring action points when placed front stage.

If festival time of magic is used to place backstage you could forfeit the text for the extra action point. However I do not think you may use the text anyway in that situation because you didn't take the perform action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
electricalstorm wrote:

If festival time of magic is used to place backstage you could forfeit the text for the extra action point. However I do not think you may use the text anyway in that situation because you didn't take the perform action.

I think you could still use the text as it says after the performance phase, not after you perform in the performance phase. Now whether or not you can use it if nobody performs is another question. If no one performs, is the performance pahse concidered skipped for purposes of abilities like from this card or other magician powers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Onyx
msg tools
dhc3po wrote:
electricalstorm wrote:

I think you could still use the text as it says after the performance phase, not after you perform in the performance phase. Now whether or not you can use it if nobody performs is another question. If no one performs, is the performance pahse concidered skipped for purposes of abilities like from this card or other magician powers?

Every special assignment card has a depiction of which action it affects - For example, you can't use the Buying Time ability (which only occurs after the reschedule action)if you use the card only to set up trick markers. So no, if Festival of Magic is used back stage, you can not use the special effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con Sequence
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dhc3po wrote:
electricalstorm wrote:

Actually I think the rules are quite clear on this one. And I am quite sure that you cannot use the text if played backstage.

Trickerion Rules of Play p.20 wrote:
Each Special Assignment card has a powerful bonus printed on it. This bonus typically enhances a specific Action (shown by the framed image above the card text) at the card's Location[...].[*]

When a Character is placed using a Special Assignment Card, any Action can be chosen at the Special Assingment card's Location[**], but if it's not the one enhanced by the card, the bonus is lost[***].

* in our case: the 'PERFORM' Action in the Theater
** so, going backstage to 'SET UP' or 'RESCHEDULE' a trick
*** since the card is only for the 'PERFORM' action, you can only use the text if you enhance the magician placed on a 'PERFORM' action slot (aka the stage) and not when you're backstage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I didn't pay attention to the icon indicating what action you need to take to trigger the special effect. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D
msg tools
Ok. After looking at the rules I found that

You can use the festival of magic card to add an action point to your turn if you assign your character backstage. The text is forfeit.

You can use the text only if you take the perform action with the magician frontstage. The additional action point is then forfeit.

You can opt to forfeit the text if you assign it to the magician placed frontstage in favor of the extra action point. HOWEVER that action point is lost due to the nature of the perform action. AND forfeiture must be done when the character is placed.

"When the Character is placed players may always choose to forfeit the Special Assignment's ability and use it to gain +1 AP at that Location instead"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
electricalstorm wrote:

You can use the festival of magic card to add an action point to your turn if you assign your character backstage. The text is forfeit.

You can use the text only if you take the perform action with the magician frontstage. The additional action point is then forfeit.

You can opt to forfeit the text if you assign it to the magician placed frontstage in favor of the extra action point. HOWEVER that action point is lost due to the nature of the perform action. AND forfeiture must be done when the character is placed.

"When the Character is placed players may always choose to forfeit the Special Assignment's ability and use it to gain +1 AP at that Location instead"

I second this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con Sequence
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
electricalstorm wrote:

Thanks for your effort!
So your thoughts equal my initial guesses, right?

1a) May the magician forfeit the text? - yes
1b) When? - the moment the magician is placed
2) Can the magician use the action point? - no
3) Can the text be used from backstage? - no

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D
msg tools
Correct.

One caveat to 3. is that the text backstage may be forfeit in lieu of the extra AP. Since the text is of no value this exchange is a given.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.