Z War One: Damnation» Forums » General

Subject: Which miniatures? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max Corwyn
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which miniatures to get? Resin or metal?
Pro and cons? What do you guys think?

PS: Are there any comparative photos out there, maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Newell
United Kingdom
Manchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The general consensus seemed to be, if you're not going to paint them then definitely get resin. The cast is supposed to be the same so painted they should look almost identical. Unpainted, resin probably looks better.

If you are going to paint them then consider which situation is most likely:

1. You keep all your minis in the same box, rattling around together with no padding. You're unlikely to ever drop or stand on your minis. Get resin, they're less likely to chip when banged against each other.

2. You keep all your minis separate in a padded container. You're concerned about snapping or breaking minis by dropping etc. Get metal, they're much harder to accidentally break and if you're storing them properly, you won't mess up your paint job.

There's also something to be said for the weight of a metal mini. Some people like the weighty feel and others don't. Consider which would be your preferance.

Hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert butler
msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
There seems to be a general consensus o line that metal minis are bad for board gaming, however, every single show we have done, of the people that have picked them up or played the demo game 80% go for metal minis as they "like the weight". The detail level on the new resin is very good, and it's also quite tough (less brittle) but personally, I go metal for the weight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Corwyn
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think, I will go for the resin ones then.
(not the time/talent to paint them)

Thanks for the help.
Much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went resin, intending to give them just a wash of ink. But I've decided that a quick ’n dirty paint job shouldn't take too long (even for the World's Slowest Painter).

Base coat/undercoat tomorrow, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played with metal at UK games expo.

The feel weight etc. So much better. I painted good but not great , Z's just a quick single colour and mixed wash.

No regrets.

Storage I use slit foam pipe lagging , covers all but heads of models and they stores nicely , easdy to source and cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Dunkley
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I chose metal as the bases on the models are quite small and some are oval and quite narrow, I thought metal would maybe stop them falling over as much due to their weight, I can imagine resin ones being very light easily falling over, I actually bent a couple of my metal minis so they where more central to the base to reduce this,I find metal minis easier to re position than resin to.
They painted up very well, I store them in a foam insert with individual slots so they don't get bashed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Corwyn
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The details of the metal minis are very good, too.
Actually, more than I expected to be..

Very nicely painted, by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.