Forlorn Hopes» Forums » General

Subject: How does it play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wilbur Whateley
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
The Old Ones were, the Old Ones are, and the Old Ones shall be.
badge
Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems hard to find info on this game. Can't even find a countersheet scan. I see it on Amazon but it doesn't say if it comes in a box or is just a magazine game.

From what I can see, it looks like the naval units are generic/in fleets and there are no individual named ships. Is that true? The scale of this campaign was so small, I was really hoping for individual destroyers, PT boats, etc.

Is this really primarily an air game? The example of play I saw seemed to deal with playing out individual dogfights between planes. Seemed kind of odd for an operational game on the conquest of the entire DEI.

Was hoping to find a cool ground/naval/air game on this campaign, but this one seems rather...abstract in the naval and ground departments (and apparently has no B-10's in the air department - for shame).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a magazine annual, so larger than most magazine games, see here

https://www.atomagazine.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=120&category=...

It is mostly an air game, wth flights rather than planes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Nunez
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fornlorn Hopes comes both as a ziploc or boxed. Same stuff inside both, just dice and a box with a cover wrap and counter tray for the boxed version. The game builds on the earlier Chennault's First Fight (on the Flying Tigers) and Operation Cartwheel that use the same game system. There's a comprehensive example of play for Forlorn Hopes on the ATO website here:

http://www.atomagazine.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=120&category=6

(look to the lower right) that pretty well explains what's going on.

Note that ATO is having a month long Chennault's First Fight promotion commemorating the 75th anniversary of the Flying Tigers starting operations as of today, so check out the banner on their site:

http://www.atomagazine.com

Last, I'm not an expert but I don't recall any large formations of B-10s that would merit a counter at the game's scale. There's some other strange birds in the mix however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbur Whateley
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I had already visited the ATO site, and the Consimworld discussion folder, before posting here. Very little info available and as I said, the example of play is primarily a dogfight. Very strange at this scale for an operational game about the conquest of a huge land-sea area by naval and amphibious forces.

The convo about the B-10 situation starts here

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dd51add/46

Apparently they were the Dutch heavy hitters, and 78 of them were present at the start of hostilities.

Other units like the Do 24 flying boats are missing as well, it seems. Altogether the cognoscenti were not pleased with the research on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Nunez
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Don't know if you can see this image when you click on the link below but ATO created some expansion counters for the game that they now include in copies purchased directly from them (or in copies recently sold to stores). You can see a B-10 counter in the set (although I'm still not sure they were ever all concentrated as a powerful unit).

http://www.atomagazine.com/images/FH_Expand_Counters.jpg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbur Whateley
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Rohrbaugh
msg tools
designer
publisher
Forlorn Struggles is part of my Air War Series of games. As others have noted here, the focus is on the air campaign. Naval and ground fighting is portrayed, but is not the "driving force" for the design. I also prefer moderate complexity games. For a combined-arms game, the air war series does a good job in getting players quickly into the game without a lot of scripted rules writing.

The B-10s were added into the game post-publication, and are included in the copies sold currently (as well as some other air and naval units).

Chennault's First Fight also has a brand new variant package, Chennault's Fist, that customers can get when they purchase that debut series game (that also won a CSR award).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul, if the gent likes B-10s, as I recall, they are part of the Chennault expansion, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.