Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Political intrigue. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Meadows
msg tools
So,one of my favorite parts of the Song Of Ice and Fire series and game of thrones is all the political power plays and intrigue. Also why I Love House Of Cards and so on.

Are there any games that will scratch this itch for me friends?

Thanks in advance.

Abide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Council of Blackthorn was inspired by the small council when the developer was watching Game of Thrones.

I've never played A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition), but I've heard great things once everyone understand how it works and what needs to be done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Princes of the Renaissance -- conditierre fighting for the gold and prestige; treacherous nobles; the Pope can commit his army to a war to influence the outcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Meadows
msg tools
Thanks very much. Council looks awesome! Iv considered GoT but iv only got one in my group who likes the books or show (my fiance) so it sadly is a poor fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gage3221 wrote:
... all the political power plays and intrigue. (...)

I'm on a somewhat similar quest. Maybe you'll find something of interest. Rather no fantasy there, though. Maybe (!) Tammany Hall is for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Meadows
msg tools
Thanks added a lotof those to my amazon tabletop games list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is actually my favourite type of game so I know of quite a lot.

Rather than just reeling off the full list, a few questions to narrow it down so I can try and fit what you're looking for better.

What's your player count likely to be?

Are there any settings that especially appeal or especially put you off (sci fi, fantasy, modern, cold war etc.)

What level of rules complexity is your minimum and maximum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Meadows
msg tools
OK odds are player count will be between 2 and 5. Most times 3.setting us not super important. I love basically all of the options you listed. Id prefer the rules simple to middle of the road complexity. However I'd work with heavier rules for a good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gage3221 wrote:
So,one of my favorite parts of the Song Of Ice and Fire series and game of thrones is all the political power plays and intrigue. Also why I Love House Of Cards and so on.

Thanks in advance.

Abide.

Here's an old chestnut that might fit the bill…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Out of print, but you may enjoy Die Macher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Diplomacy...

Though, like the game of thrones, you win, or you die.

Or just lose friends.

All the intrigue in this game is pretty much player driven, though.

The GoT board game also scratches as similar itch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Whitham
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
The new Game of Thrones game 'The Iron Throne' could suit. It's a re-implementation of Cosmic Encounter, a classic full of alliances, deal making and backstabbing. It plays in about an hour and isn't very complex, it's the table talk that makes it fun.

If you want something heavier and with a proper board, the GoT board game is great. 3 hours or so to play though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gage3221 wrote:
OK odds are player count will be between 2 and 5. Most times 3.setting us not super important. I love basically all of the options you listed. Id prefer the rules simple to middle of the road complexity. However I'd work with heavier rules for a good game.

Ok, some games I think might be worth looking at. I've put them in a vague order from simple to complex. Some of these aren't in print but I don't think any of them are going for stupid money on the secondary market.

Note that most of these will play best with at least four players. Two player games are their own thing on this. While I like games like 1960: The Making of the President and Twilight Struggle the two player nature means that you don't get the dealmaking and negotiation I see as necessary for the intrigue part of political intrigue. And with three players it normally ends up 2 vs 1 which isn't ideal.

Some of these aren't in print but I don't think any of them are going for stupid money on the secondary market.

Cosmic Encounter. Intergalactic diplomacy and war. Somewhat abstracted, but lots of variety with alien powers etc. There's a Game of Thrones reskin on the way which could appeal.

Council of Blackthorn. Already recommended. I can't say much about it because I haven't plaayed it yet. (It's on my list). But I've heard very good things about it.

Succession: Intrigue in the Royal Court. One of my lesser known gems. It has lots of take that gameplay, alongside lots of opportunities for intrigue and dealmaking. It's quite unbalanced, but if you don't mind that it's worth a look.

Illuminati. It shows it's age these days and can be quite mathy. But it's a fun game of secret societies taking over the world. What other game do you get to say things like "The South American Nazis will try to control the Furries with the help of the Post Office"?

Kremlin. Comedy Cold War politics with purges galore. Lots of randomness, but if you are fine with that it's a classic. Note that the new edition rulebook is horrific for new players. Use the unofficial one online instead.

Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery. It might seem strange to have a game about gladiators on this list. But the crucial point is that it's actually about gladiator owners. While you do play out the arena fights, they're really there as a background to the dealmaking and backstabbing.

Junta. This could be just what you're looking for. One of my standard political game recommendations. The one issue with it is that I really wouldn't play it with less than five and seven is the ideal.

Henry VIII: Intrigue in the Tudor Court. If you don't mind Print and Play, this is an excellent game of historical politics. It's actually a somewhat streamlined remake of

Down with the King. A hot mess of a game, which takes hours and is full of random tables. It takes some getting used to. It's very group dependent. With the right group, it plays like an episode of Blackadder; all passionate speeches and silly plotting. With the wrong group, it will fail horribly.

The Republic of Rome. Be warned, this game is extremely complex. But if you can get past that, it will offer you an experience like no other. (It's my favourite political game of all time). Read the rulebook first on here before trying to get hold of it. There's also an interesting remake of it called Founding Fathers which is excellent. If you want to throw yourself into the deep end, just go for whichever one of these appeals more in terms of setting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.