$30.00
Joel Carson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The quest has a special rule:

While a hero is 'marked', each time he suffers 1 fatigue, he also suffers 1 heart.

In a scenario where the heroes are all marked, let's say the Overlord starts his round by playing Word of Misery:

"Play this card at the start of your turn. During this turn, each time a hero suffers any Heart, he also suffers 1 Fatigue in addition to the Heart suffered."

After that, I move my Scourge servant so that he is standing adjacent to all of the heroes.

After that, I move my Barghest up to the group and uses Howl:

"Howl: Each hero within 3 spaces of this monster must test Willpower. Each hero that fails suffers 1 Fatigue."

My group all has low Will, so let's assume the entire group fails this test. Essentially, how much damage can be dealt by this failed test?

My attempt at solving this...
All suffer one fatigue from the failed test, which combos with the Scourge giving out a second fatigue damage (assumed one to each hero), and then the Marked by the Storm deals two hearts, one for each fatigue just suffered. This would then trigger Word of Misery and Deal an additional two fatigue. I would assume it should stop there, since I cannot stack Marked By the Storm onto this fatigue loss since it has already been triggered early in this action. So, net effect, two health and four fatigue per hero.

Anyone agree?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the top:

1 fatigue from howl, which causes a wound from marked by the storm, which causes a fatigue from word of misery.

That's the end of the loop. Each hero adjacent to the scourge cane be chosen to suffer a fatigue, which will cause the loop to happen again, but with the fatigue from the scourge instead of from howl.

So one instance of fatigue, wound, fatigue beginning with howl, and a second beginning with being chosen by the scourge. Total 4 fatigue and 2 wound. If a hero reaches his stamina and suffers the last fatigue as a wound, it will not trigger word of misery a second time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a response from Fantasy Flight on this. Apparently they rule it as 3 damage, four fatigue. Here's his response:

"That is, easily, among the top ten most difficult rules questions I’ve answered. It does create an infinite loop, given that the scourge creates a new instance of suffering fatigue and doesn’t just add to what is already suffered. Because of that, I’m going to rule that each effect can only be triggered by another effect once. I’m not sure how to communicate this clearly, so I will do my best.

Howl causes a fatigue which triggers the Scourge and the quest rule. The Scourge also causes a fatigue, which triggered the quest rule again. The quest rule causes a damage—well, multiple, but only the first time triggers time would trigger Word of Misery. Word of Misery causes a fatigue, which triggers the quest rule a third time and triggers the Scourge a second time. At this point, every effect that can affect another effect has triggered, so the maximum damage has been done. TL;DR Each hero suffers 3 damage and 4 fatigue.

That really is the perfect storm (which, of course, comes up in “Fury of the Tempest”), so it normally doesn’t get that complicated. Sorry about that.

Thanks for playing!

Nathan Hajek
Game Developer
Fantasy Flight Games"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know, thanks for posting that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.