$20.00
$5.00
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something like this will likely be the used for technology for the next wave of moon and Mars bases I suspect:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-25/watch-the...

Very preliminary, but showing some promising developments.

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
I can certainly see the point of using those bots for tasks that are dangerous or will be (at some point) too tedious for humans on earth. The benefit of having them build a base on some inhospitable interstellar planet or moon eludes me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
odie73 wrote:
I can certainly see the point of using those bots for tasks that are dangerous or will be (at some point) too tedious for humans on earth. The benefit of having them build a base on some inhospitable interstellar planet or moon eludes me.

Wouldn't the benefit be that they could build a habitable structure for humans who are slated to arrive later?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
pdoherty wrote:
odie73 wrote:

Wouldn't the benefit be that they could build a habitable structure for humans who are slated to arrive later?

Sure, I get that at some point humans will live in that base. I am questioning whether it is really that desirable to have people living in a place that does not support human life at all. No water, oxygen, complex carbon sources, natural protection from radiation etc. All resources would need to be transported over there at huge energy cost. We cannot even provide a decent living for all US citizens (not even talking about the whole global population) but want to waste precious resources to get some people to live in a place where they will likely be dependent on support from earth forever?

When I was young I was also a big fan of Sci-Fi, dreaming of flying to the stars. I have come to realize that given the physical constraints space travel faces we better take care of the space ship we call earth first before doubling-down on some other planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it would be needed either when the richest want to take vacation on resort station on the moon or when we want to built a mining facility on Mars.

I also enjoy Sci-Fi but consider it would take a major technology improvement to have colonisation/relocation of humans to other planets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aric Ashgrove
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
...at last I return back to the logical and sane world of wargaming, in order to truly enjoy games again.
badge
This picture is of the American politician, abolishinist, and Bowie knife duelist; General Cassius Marcellus Clay... Look him up!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the most horrific of nightmares to me personally. We laugh at the zombie, alien or other social dystopian apocalypses but the one with the HIGHEST chance to actually happen is applauded and promoted. Insert AI with even the simplest of tasks and in the promotion or elevation of efficiency what do you think will happen?

Human obsolescence is the name of the game still and has been since the industrial revolution. The poor have more to fight in the growth of technology (promoted for profit via increased efficiency) than which leader squishes them further with their jack-boot thugs or their own designer shoes.

I like love this planet myself. Personal responsibility and limited technology would be enough to save the ecosystems here. See prehistory and the timeline of man as paleolithic hunter gatherers vs agricultural evolution. Increased efficiency only, very easily observably, leads to un-sustainability and population overshoot.

When the wealthy elite have no further uses for us if it is not to serve them what will happen? They are merely deciding what to do with the rest of us under automation. Pruitt–Igoe on Mars will work as well as it did on earth. Or in an even worse scenario; ever see the musical "Urinetown?" Replace Urinetown with Mars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashgrove wrote:
(much blather that seems negative)

So I'm putting you down as a "no" then for the robot-built habitats then?

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashgrove wrote:
This is the most horrific of nightmares to me personally. We laugh at the zombie, alien or other social dystopian apocalypses but the one with the HIGHEST chance to actually happen is applauded and promoted. Insert AI with even the simplest of tasks and in the promotion or elevation of efficiency what do you think will happen?

Human obsolescence is the name of the game still and has been since the industrial revolution. The poor have more to fight in the growth of technology (promoted for profit via increased efficiency) than which leader squishes them further with their jack-boot thugs or their own designer shoes.

I like love this planet myself. Personal responsibility and limited technology would be enough to save the ecosystems here. See prehistory and the timeline of man as paleolithic hunter gatherers vs agricultural evolution. Increased efficiency only, very easily observably, leads to un-sustainability and population overshoot.

When the wealthy elite have no further uses for us if it is not to serve them what will happen? They are merely deciding what to do with the rest of us under automation. Pruitt–Igoe on Mars will work as well as it did on earth. Or in an even worse scenario; ever see the musical "Urinetown?" Replace Urinetown with Mars.
Like much of coming technology, this is something that is inevitable, like the editing of Human DNA, both at birth and on the fly. Lamenting the technology itself won't get us far, we have to talk about how to control it and let it blossom within responsible constraints. Otherwise it will progress irresponsibly and everything you fear, and more, will come true. There is no preventing the technology from evolving and trying to will be a waste of time and resources better spent on control and regulation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
odie73 wrote:
When I was young I was also a big fan of Sci-Fi, dreaming of flying to the stars. I have come to realize that given the physical constraints space travel faces we better take care of the space ship we call earth first before doubling-down on some other planet.

I don't disagree with taking care of Earth. But I can see a viable future for human habitation spreading throughout the Solar System -- Mars, the Asteroid Belt, Jupiter's & Saturn's moons, and the Kuiper Belt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, watch Black Mirror on Netflix if you want to see some freaky Twilight Zone style stories involving technology. The one with the robot bees i especially poignant for this story.

Second, people living on the Moon or Mars is a waste of money IMO right now. Until we have a goal for space. If we find it is lucrative to mine resources in space or we discover a habitable world or alien civilization. So I would rather us spend the resources on detecting other planets and alien life.

But spider construction bots can have applications on this planet too so no reason to not experiment. I think drones are the next big tech and will be used for all kinds of things in the near future. Then it will be autonomous robots.

Last I think eventually humans will merge with robots/AI/technology. I can see us getting to the stage we upgrade ourselves with machinery, computers and improving our genetics. but ultimately I think all that will merge until we are some sort of hybrid. Not cyborgs, but organic machines utilizing the best of both worlds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
First off, watch Black Mirror on Netflix if you want to see some freaky Twilight Zone style stories involving technology. The one with the robot bees i especially poignant for this story.
I've watched the first three episodes so far, it's a great series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
bob_santafe wrote:
odie73 wrote:

I don't disagree with taking care of Earth. But I can see a viable future for human habitation spreading throughout the Solar System -- Mars, the Asteroid Belt, Jupiter's & Saturn's moons, and the Kuiper Belt.

What do you see in those places that is desirable? Other than some mineral resources I do not know what could be found there.

Let's see it this way: We could build bases in Antarctica much more easily and would have water, air to breathe, comparably moderate temperatures, radiation shielding, maybe occasional food to catch, normal gravitation, and all that at much lower transportation cost. So why is no one proposing that instead? Maybe simply because it lacks the romantic fantasies about conquering space?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aric Ashgrove
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
...at last I return back to the logical and sane world of wargaming, in order to truly enjoy games again.
badge
This picture is of the American politician, abolishinist, and Bowie knife duelist; General Cassius Marcellus Clay... Look him up!
mbmbmbmbmb
@ Ferretman: Lol, yes. No robot built structures. No robots even... What hip new Left wing term can we use for my demographic aside from luddite? Hmm... I vote for techno-phobe!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.