Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so how is this compare to other lovecraft games outthere?

my thoughts:
Arkham Horror: The Card Game:
- i have The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game and most expansions so i really want to try this

Arkham Horror:
- a bit old for me, its been a long time last time i play it, got all expansions

Elder Sign:
- i also want to have this

Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game:
- i really want to play this but i have no opponent to play with

Eldritch Horror:
- a bit similar to arkham horror for me

Mansions of Madness:
- i know a little about this game unlike the other on the top list

i also want to know other good lovecraft theme games.

which one to you guys prefer is you only choose one, yes if you are given a choice to keep only one what would it be?

Arkham Horror: The Card Game
Arkham Horror
Elder Sign
Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game
Mansions of Madness
Eldritch Horror
or any other lovecraft theme games out there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
My order today (even though I really like AHLCG)

1. Mansions of Madness 2e
2. Arkham Horror LCG
3. Elder Sign

If you play MoM 2e air played on a TV - the music and atmosphere is outstanding. It doesn't play well at a game store or at a con - but in a smaller setting it's outstanding.

Arkham Horror LCG I love - really enjoy... very very close 2nd right now - but, I could see it passing MoM as it matures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also refer to people's thoughts here:
- Compare this to other LCG or Lovecraft games...
- Ranking Mythos Games by FFG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythos Tales, AHLCG, and Mansions 2.0 are at the top of my list these days though AH and EH are no less great. I enjoy Elder Sign but not so much for theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my view, Arkham Horror LCG will overtake the others in time simply because it will have a lot more expansions than the others. Exactly when this happens does not seem important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were forced to save only one and cast all else to the void, it would have to be Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu Role Playing Game. It certainly doesn't get the most play, and it's very easy for a session to either feel like it's stuck on rails or wandering around town aimlessly, but when it works, it does a superlative job of collaborative storytelling combined with puzzle solving. The other games are well designed and beautifully illustrated, but Call of Cthulhu is the gibbering wellspring of horror from which they flow, to some extent even more so than the original and inspired stories (not a dig against the stories, but they are their own things and could just as easily have never been used as any sort of game inspiration, the same way there is no World of Hemingway line of games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawk Strike
msg tools
mb
Esgaldil wrote:
If I were forced to save only one and cast all else to the void, it would have to be Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu Role Playing Game.

What I dropped in to post.

Call of Cthulhu is the Lovecraftian horror game; everything else is a derivative. I suspect it doesn't get as much play as it deserves because it does need a really good Keeper to pull it off well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Black
United States
Moraine
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could never choose just 1, but I can tentatively rank them:

1. Eldritch Horror
2. Arkham Horror LCG (which may very well take the 1 slot over time.)
3. Cthulhu Wars
4. Fate of the Elder Gods
5. Call of Cthulhu LCG (mainly because it is now a dead game).

Honorable mention: Call of Cthulhu RPG,which I get to play very rarely due to time constraints. Same with Arkham Horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee miller
msg tools
mb
I would have to rate Arkham Horror LCG in the top because of the challenge added via deckbuilding. I put Elder Sign last due to the constant repeating of items that are IDENTICAL with the only difference being the name of the card. What's the point in having two cards that add a yellow dice but those cards only difference is they are named differently. This really seems like a cheap way out to "add content" when it adds nothing at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Tegg
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Arkham Horror LCG wins for me.

Great game, great theme, great narrative, lots of fun solo with either one or two investigators, great replayability, and the longest game I've played is 90 minutes - so it's easy to find time for a game!

The others may be better in one or two of the listed ways, but AH: LCG is really strong in all of them

AH is second for me. The sheer randomness really did make you feel at the whims of capricious and alien powers, but with all the expansions, the game could go on for FIVE HOURS!!!!!

I've only played MoM 2e first scenario a handful of times, but it feels a bit lite in terms of choice and heavy in terms of dice, so far.

Not tried Eldritch horror, I have the rest (apart from the actual RPG).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dark yeoman
msg tools
There are two others you did not mention:

Mythos
Call of Cthulhu: Collectible Card Game

Both are old CCGs, and Mythos is particularly excellent (both for multiplayer and solo games). Call of Cthulhu later became the LCG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United States
Hiram
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
1. Eldritch Horror
2. Arkham Horror
3. Elder Sign, but AHLCG might take third once we figure it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark B
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ranking is difficult because different games are better for different things (solo play, ease of set up and play, immersion).

At this point, the only Mythos game I dislike is Elder Sign. I own it. I want to like it. I keep buying expansions. While it contains an interesting dice mechanism and stong theme, these two parts are at odds with each other. The dice take me out of the theme and the theme just seems out of place with the dice game.

My favorites:

Most comprehensive, immersive Lovecraftian experience: Call of Cthulhu RPG
Best co-op with newer players when time is limited: Witch of Salem
Best Solo for gameplay:Eldritch Horror
Best blend of story and actual game non-solo: Mansions of Madness: Second Edition
Best solo for story: Arkham Horror: The Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghorron
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
dchamp wrote:

which one to you guys prefer is you only choose one, yes if you are given a choice to keep only one what would it be?

Arkham Horror: The Card Game
Arkham Horror
Elder Sign
Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game
Mansions of Madness
Eldritch Horror
or any other lovecraft theme games out there

Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game is by far the most lovecraftian for me, but sadly almost no one interested in playing it :-(

Arkham Horror is awesome, thematic, long, a bit bloated with expansions, long ... will play it everytime I get the chance and 3 others willing to join :-)

Mansions of Madness 1st edition was very underwhelming, haven't played 2nd edition yet.

Elder Sign hits the table from time to time, with expansions it is a real challenge und very fun!

Arkham Horror: The Card Game tried it once and doesn't replace any of the above for me, if I want such type of co-op card game I will stick with LotR LCG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Pater
msg tools
If I could pick just one game, I'd probably pick Eldritch Horror. For me it has the best combination of theme, gameplay, and replayability.

Theme: How immersive is the game.
Gameplay: Are the rules interesting, does it have a reasonable time investment?
Replayability: Is it fun to replay, does it offer enough variation without spending a lot of money on expansions?

1. Eldritch Horror
Theme:
Gameplay:
Replayability: :

2. Arkham Horror
Theme:
Gameplay:

2. Arkham Horror The Card Game
Theme:
Gameplay:

3. Mansions of Madness
Theme:
Gameplay:

3. Elder Sign
Theme:
Gameplay:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I haven't played this LCG so I can't give you comparisons. However, if I could only choose one, I'd take Mansion of Madness 2nd Edition in a heart beat!

I'd get more sessions out of Eldritch (quantity), but the quality level wouldn't be anywhere near as immersive.

Elder Sign I wanted to like, but it left me cold. Played it twice the year it came out, and never again.

Eldritch is great, and my set is fully expanded, but a session can sometimes feel flat.

Arkham Horror was amazing for the time, definitely pushed forward what a board game could be in my youthful experiences... but grew stale. Can't stand it now.

I never liked the look of the Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game, but watched a friend play it once.

ghorron wrote:

Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game is by far the most lovecraftian for me, but sadly almost no one interested in playing it :-(

Why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
You think that's air you're breathing?
badge
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant That We Should voyage far.
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
If I were forced to save only one and cast all else to the void, it would have to be Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu Role Playing Game.

Agreed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mb
Anarchosyn wrote:
ghorron wrote:

Why?

Are you asking why CoC LCG is the most Lovecraftian or why noone wants to play it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.