Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Chasing a broken dream? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
david
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
This game looks like everything I want however not sure it's for me. Looking for help to steer me towards 1.5 or away.

Biggest thought I don't think I could gather a group of friends once a week to play. I've read the game is a commitment and regular play is a must.

I could play by myself but would that be much fun?

If the kingdom death dungeon crawl ever comes to play that would seem more doable. I am new to boardgames, found a few on Kickstarter now just impatiently waiting for them.

But this game just looks so good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It is.
And it's completely playable alone too.
Now, is it for you, I don't know.

Why don't you give some Youtube videos a try?
But be careful not to go further than the first showdown (White lion), settlement and hunt.
You'll see the vibe of this game, at least regarding the (very) basic gameplay as it's the tutorial of the game.

Please don't forget that the best is yet to come but must remain unrevealed until this game is on your own table so don't look further than the White Lion part and the two phases that come after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hofstedt
United States
Oak Creek
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
By all accounts I've read, the solo is quite deep and engaging. Don't let a lack of interested friends be the determining factor. Between the solo play and assembly/painting of all those miniatures, you'll be very busy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Webb
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of people are playing it solo and really enjoying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
Doctordice wrote:
This game looks like everything I want however not sure it's for me. Looking for help to steer me towards 1.5 or away.

Biggest thought I don't think I could gather a group of friends once a week to play. I've read the game is a commitment and regular play is a must.

If the kingdom death dungeon crawl ever comes to play that would seem more doable. I am new to boardgames, found a few on Kickstarter now just impatiently waiting for them.

I ONLY play this game solo. 400hrs and counting. I play other games with a few friends, but I keep KD to myself. I liken KD to reading a massive epic or playing the biggest RPG PC game you've ever played, playing with a group just doesn't make sense to me.

Still, if you want to play with others and solo all you have to do is play a campaign for yourself and play a different one for your group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TechRaptor Travis
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play it both solo and with different groups of friends. This game is excellent solitaire.

I have one group that gets together to play every third week or so, and it works as well with them as it does when my wife an I are playing a campaign and get in four sessions/week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Ainsworth
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Doctordice wrote:

Most reviews actually say this game is best played with only two people that way you have someone else to engage with and if a character dies in a hunt/showdown you have another one to play with. Just my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
baylock wrote:
It is.
And it's completely playable alone too.
Now, is it for you, I don't know.

Why don't you give some Youtube videos a try?
But be careful not to go further than the first showdown (White lion), settlement and hunt.
You'll see the vibe of this game, at least regarding the (very) basic gameplay as it's the tutorial of the game.

Please don't forget that the best is yet to come but must remain unrevealed until this game is on your own table so don't look further than the White Lion part and the two phases that come after.

I wouldn't say that you necessarily have to limit yourself to just watching content from the prologue. It's true that part of the charm of the game is discovering new content, but there is so much there that even watching a full playthrough won't reveal all (or even most) of the what the game has to offer. The rules are challenging for a casual board gamer and looking for clarifications every 10 minutes might seem tedious to some, so seeing how others work their way through the murkier sections of the game's dynamics can really improve the game's flow for a newcomer. I will say that I watched numerous playthroughs while waiting to purchase the game and it did not dampen my enthusiasm for or enjoyment of the game in the slightest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We don't agree and that's fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Shuvaev
Russia
St.Petersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It as an ultimate solo experience. I don't have enough examples to compare it to, but it WAYS better solo game than Mage Knight and I don't even think about trying another LotR LCG quest.

And besides that, you will not spend excess time flipping rulebook pages when begin playing with people, which would provide better experience for them. You would even have a chance to stop them from making really bad gameplay choices which could probably ruin the campaign (like hunting LVL2 white lion on their second hunt).

So go for it! :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
Yeah, not gonna lie, my No. 1 recommendation to a new player is play solo for at least 4 lantern years. You'll probably fail a lot, so keep going until you beat year 4.

Then, and only then, should you start bringing in other players. Reason being is to give you time to read the rules, play with those rules, screw up with those rules, and figure out how to win by not screwing up with the rules. Because while the rules are 95% simple, the way the game gives you complex choices and options within those rules can foul up a session quickly.

So, run a solo game and learn how everything works, then play with friends who go into the game completely blind.

And don't tell them everything. Tell them the bare minimum. Give them blind choices. Don't tell them the results.

And enjoy the tears of joy and sorrow that follow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.