andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading a blog of a US soldier who's spent quite a bit of time serving in the gulf say that joining the protesters on the Dakota pipeline was the first time he's felt like he was serving the American public. I thought I'd best read a bit more.

I was aware there was an issue people were protesting about. But actually pretty clueless to what it was. So I read and find the major concern is the pipe may leak.. Really? I though it may have been desecration of sacred ground. I totally understand people getting up set about that. Imagine the outcry if the Philippine govt allowed a pipeline though that huge US war cemetery I wandered though in 2007. Yeah, upsetting spiritual ground is no good..

But this was only to do with spill related pollution. So I googled and found the list of pipe failure spills in the USA... Those Indian dudes and their friends are being totally reasonable. I'm amazed at how often pipes in the USA (and Canada) loose their shit!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pipeline_accidents#Uni...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
Sometimes we decide we don't like something, and then later figure out why. I'm assured people find it charming :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Around here, then they wanted to haul 'oil' with TRAINS across the county and what is the "failure incident rate" from these, also?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I met a native American yesterday who said that many native Americans see themselves -- their race -- as being guardians of the earth, not for themselves, but for all humanity.

No individual and no group has all the answers, of course -- but it left me thinking that we would do well to give more consideration to what native Americans have to say about the environment and its protection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bob_santafe wrote:
I met a native American yesterday who said that many native Americans see themselves -- their race -- as being guardians of the earth, not for themselves, but for all humanity.

No individual and no group has all the answers, of course -- but it left me thinking that we would do well to give more consideration to what native Americans have to say about the environment and its protection.

Cool song, music written by Black Sabbath, performed by Soundgarden with lyrics adapted from a letter allegedly written by Chief Sealth in the late 1800's.

Anything we should know about your change?
How can you buy or sell the sky
Or the warmth of the land it's strange to us
We don't own the freshness of the air
Or the sparkle of the water
How can you buy them from us
The white man doesn't understand our ways
For he's a stranger who comes in the night
And takes from the land just what he needs
Oh yeah
He treats his brothers like his enemies
When it's completed he moves on
He leaves his father's grave and his birthright
His birthright is forgotten
The air is precious to the red man
For all things share the same breath
The white man won't notice the air he breathes
Like a man dying for many days
All right now
The whites must treat the beasts of his land
As his brothers not his enemies
Tell me what is man without the beasts
I'll bet he will die of loneliness
One thing we know that the white man will
We know our god is the same god
You may think you wish to own him
Own him as you wish to own our land
But he is the body of man
And the earth is precious to him
Continue to contaminate your bed
And you will suffocate in your waste
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bob_santafe wrote:

Our aboriginal nations here feel very similarly. Given they are quite peaceful, My Engish fore-bears and indeed most of Australia now, pay them no respect. The Great Nations of Europe (Randy Newman) only seem to respect those who try to fight them..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.