Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
PNP
PTG

I know this should be in the Seeking Playtesters Forum, but I think this is for game designers - who need a better way to get games tested. So, please bear with me.

I 'm thinking of setting up a geek list similar to this The 100 Play Challenge: In Support of Deeper Exploration of Games (Update: Now with GeekGold!) but for play testing... and maybe 10 plays at various player counts. The purpose of which is:

- To get more games playtested.
- To show games that are taking steps towards being published/picked up.
- To generate interest in new games.
- To find out what and how playtesters like to test.
- To reward playtesters with a micro badge.

I'm not trying to standardise how games are tested, but rather create a functional list that allows play tests to be recorded all in one place. And encourage more testing. Designers can list their games and ask for x y z. Examples will be provided to help designers ask for what they need in a way that everyone is used to.

IDEA 1: Have a special badge for the first player to test a game 10 times, 50, 100 times.

IDEA 2: Have a badge for someone who has tested 10 games 10 times, 50 games 10 times, 100 games 10 times.

Dessert: Here is something else to look at later. Different Types of Playtesting

I would love to know what you think.
How can we make this a great list?
Does it already exist?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Anyone can play-test or pretend that he has play-tested. Maybe, a most useful feedback could be more productive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
8Oj4N wrote:
Anyone can play-test or pretend that he has play-tested. Maybe, a most useful feedback could be more productive?

Good point. I assumed that each playtest will require some reporting (players, score, duration, feedback, questions). Then after a few games, the playtester can send long feedback (possibly with photos), in private or otherwise, to the designer. Then, the designer can approve the playtester.

This collaboration is based on trust.

There is a chance that a designer will delay or not award a playtester a badge for feedback, for what ever reason. Not cool. Even if you don't like the feedback you got, even if you think they never even printed your game, don't be an ass - just give them the badge.

There is a chance that a playtester will pretend to have played a game and have not actually done so. And they will go to the grave with a smile on their lips, knowing that a 16 x 16 pixel badge was worth being a douche over.

But I doubt that will stop others from partaking in some interesting playtesting. Share the love (for games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a lot of interest for this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Give it time, this is a holiday weekend in the US. I believe that a pool of play testers is a good idea. The single worst thing about new games is the endless errata that arrives after a few dozen players purchase it brand new. It sets a bad example when, I believe, games are released claiming adequate play testing when not a single test game has ever been run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to let this one sleep for a while. I think this has been tried before and it has always been difficult. We need more brings to bash together and come up with ideas for how to make this work. Please wake this thread up if you if you have something to share.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.