Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rules (page 8 of Queens Game), it says the game ends as soon as the next general dividend has been paid out.

And the rule summary that someone wrote (https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/39103/condensed-chicago-e...) also highlights the word "next."

I'm questioning if I played this rule correctly. Strictly speaking, it seems like you pay-out dividends, check if any end-game conditions are met, and if they are... you play out another round and pay out dividends one last time.

This would also mean that there could be 9-rounds in the game?

Some clarification would be great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Killian
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a maximum of eight rounds. The Dividend Phase has three sub-phases, in order: paying out dividends, resetting the dials, and incrementing Detroit income. If any of the four Game Over conditions were met during the previous action rounds (conditions one through three) or during the previous Dividend Phase (Detroit income increased to 8) the game immediately ends after dividends are payed out during the current Dividend Phase. Page 7 of the Queen rules (the gray inset arrow) are pretty unambiguous about this.

In practice it may not matter that much -- I've never had a game end due to Detroit income hitting eight. The larger point is that there is always one last payout no matter what triggers the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CmdrOverbite wrote:
There is a maximum of eight rounds. The Dividend Phase has three sub-phases, in order: paying out dividends, resetting the dials, and incrementing Detroit income. If any of the four Game Over conditions were met during the previous action rounds (conditions one through three) or during the previous Dividend Phase (Detroit income increased to 8) the game immediately ends after dividends are payed out during the current Dividend Phase. Page 7 of the Queen rules (the gray inset arrow) are pretty unambiguous about this.

In practice it may not matter that much -- I've never had a game end due to Detroit income hitting eight. The larger point is that there is always one last payout no matter what triggers the end of the game.

Lets say it is bob's turn. On his turn...

1) Check if two actions are exhausted.
2) If so, delay players' turn and enter general dividends phase.
3) Pay out dividends
4) Check if any end-game conditions are met. If so, end the game immediately.
5) If not, reset dials and increment detroit income.
6) Bob then plays his turn.

Correct?

If so, I played it correctly but the whole word "next" through me off (especially since the player aids underlines it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolas Co
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To reiterate, the grey arrow on page 7 is when you check for the end of the game (i.e. after paying the general dividend, but before resetting dials). If any of the conditions (listed on page 8) are met, the game ends at that point; the statement on page 8 simply means that you wait until it's time in the general dividend phase, rather than ending the game immediately when a condition is met.

Note that the Detroit marker starts on 1. So, if you ended the game when in the phase where you move it it onto 8, then (assuming no development actions were used on Detroit) you will have only played 7 rounds. In contrast, the correct order of operations ensures you will play out 8 rounds.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NikolasCo wrote:
To reiterate, the grey arrow on page 7 is when you check for the end of the game (i.e. after paying the general dividend, but before resetting dials). If any of the conditions (listed on page 8) are met, the game ends at that point; the statement on page 8 simply means that you wait until it's time in the general dividend phase, rather than ending the game immediately when a condition is met.

Note that the Detroit marker starts on 1. So, if you ended the game when in the phase where you move it it onto 8, then (assuming no development actions were used on Detroit) you will have only played 7 rounds. In contrast, the correct order of operations ensures you will play out 8 rounds.

Hope that helps.

It does. Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NikolasCo wrote:

I agree with this generally, but I think that "Detroit is the only City hex that is not developed by the players."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolas Co
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
NikolasCo wrote:

I agree with this generally, but I think that "Detroit is the only City hex that is not developed by the players."
Ah, I thought that was true but didn't find it before I posted (it's on page 6, just overlooked it). Thanks. I've crossed it out in the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.