Hide
5 Posts

Scythe» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Pen-Ultimaszyna + Pen-Ultimaszyna vs. Industrial Rusviet rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Norton
msg tools
When I got Scythe, I was so pumped for the automa. My wife and 2-year-old daughter aren't big gamers, so I relished the thought of an ever-open opponent.

However, I don't know if it was because of how many Scythe videos I'd watched before buying or what, but I beat Autometta and Automa with zero problem, and even Automaszyna, and even Ultimaszyna herself! I had never lost!

So I gave myself a special challenge: to face two ALLIED automas, both at the level of Pen-Ultimaszyna (which I made up: that's Ultimaszyna except with an Automaszyna card and thus stuck in their own peninsula the first three or four turns). These automas would consider only me the enemy, and they'd combine/split their score. I assigned everything randomly, and they got Polania and Crimean, while I got Industrial Rusviet.

Since the automas weren't truly Ultimaszyna-level, there wasn't the feeling of being blitzed by the punting team and getting clothes-lined though you'd called fair catch. However, when they reached my lands, they really popped a squat. Of course, with Industrial, I'd focused on mechs and upgrades (and starred out both as well as [eventually] two combats), but by the time I wanted to strip them of the factory or else build my fourth building, well, they were ALL up in my grill and there was absolutely no room to maneuver.

So - and I am glad to say this - I finally lost! I had only 53, Polania had 63, and Crimean had 76.

I'm excited to try again versus two allied Pen-Ultimaszyna opponents, or perhaps versus them with my own automa ally at the same level! The automa really is the gift that keeps on giving. Thanks again M+J.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no way you are playing everything correctly and winning every game at those difficulty levels.

Are you giving the automa stars for winning combat, for reaching the top of the power track? Are you only skipping cards for the autometta level?

You should check this thread because I strongly suspect you are playing something wrong:

Common Automa Mistakes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Norton
msg tools
Reverend, I definitely appreciate your sentiment, but I do believe I'm doing it all right. I certainly give them stars for combat, a star for maxing power, and I only skip cards on Autometta level. I checked your (very helpful!) link and I had none of those points wrong.

To ease your mind, I mention I had beaten the automa at every level, but 1-v-1 I have only played (and thus beaten) Automaszyna and Ultimaszyna ONE time each. I had first played Autometta and found it a breeze. Most of my plays have been against Automa and they have been easy (which I don't think is too unbelievable). Outside of that, I have played many multi-Automa or even multi-Automaszyna games, but I have found those to be even easier than 1-v-1 if they aren't on the same team, because they fight each other, they maybe gain a star or two that way, but then I capitalize on their-infighting and gain easy victories / despoil them of territory.

I'm confident I will get beaten again by Automaszyna at some point, or at least certainly by Ultimaszyna! That one scares me! (as I hope I indicated by my "blitzing the punt-receiver" comment, that really is how it feels)

Now, I will ask: I have been skipping moving the star tracker forward on any X-ed out card at every level, is that correct to do? Since there are three of those cards, you could hypothetically hit up to SIX of those in a game (three in each schema). I'm pretty sure I hit many of those in my tougher-level games, which, as you can imagine, really helped me out.

I would love to know if I am doing anything wrong! Or maybe I'm just doing it right. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you are just really good at the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Norton
msg tools
Maybe.modest

I'll come crawling back after a few more Automaszyna / Ultimaszyna matches and let you know how that's working for me. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.