Blood Feud in New York» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First Time, 4 Players, Huge Early Advantage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank McGirk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is beyond our comfort zone. We don't play many long strategy games, and while this is of a fairly light complexity, it was too much for us. And it was really a rather short game.

I was playing Jersey
Marty was Staten Island
Jessie was Queens
Mac was the Bronx

Marty, for some reason, hated this game immediatly, and while he didn't quit. He started moving against me with his boss, and didn't retreat when I countered with building an obviously more powerful force.

So, after probably less than a six turns, I had 10 family members...a HUGE advantage in this game.

Jessie and Mac had been massing guys on Flushing and Throgs Neck, respectively, and Jessie was doing a great job of capturing territories in Brooklyn as well as securing Queens.

At this point, they should have teamed up to take me on, but I didn't make any agressive moves (except to chase Mac, after warning, to get out of Manhatten and to take Staten Island and a bit of the Bronx). I just started to build up my mobsters.

I finally took one of Mac's family members, and was going to give it back to him if he attacked Jessie in Flushing, a sure to be disastrous event for him as Jessie had equal forces and a Penthouse there. I let him off the hook, when I realize that I'd be better off with them in a stand off if I thought I could knock off their bosses, which I did via Helicopter and Limo two rounds later.

In the interim, I got to knock off Mac's captured guy when he stopped showing proper deference to a man of my station.

It was pretty fun, but all the counting seemed to take quite a bit of time, it's just not really the type of game we REALLY enjoy (We all love Betrayal at House on the Hill, for example). Still, it was nice for something different, but although Jessie liked it, and Mac kind of liked it, I feel if we had played better, it would have gone on WAY too long for Mac and probably Jessie and me.

People have compared it to the Milton Bradley Big Box games, and I think that is probably fair, but I think I'm more of a modern gamer then.

I really like some of the elements: the importance of the family members and, of course, the boss, the way troops are placed at the end of your round instead of the beginning, and the mobster theme.

I hope to play it again, and I think the family trading would be used a lot more (and be a lot more fun) in a longer, drawn out game, but honestly I doubt this will see the light of day for some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We love this game. It was unwise for your friend to attack you right off with his Boss. Had he not done that, it would have been a different game. We played a four player game last night and it was really great.

The first few rounds are land grabs. No battles really do-able that early. Then the deals start flying, and its just seemed to always work out for us, though my group enjoys Axis and Allies and those big box games, so perhaps we will, by nature, like it more than your group. Give it another go though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McGirk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure my buddy just didn't like something about the game from the get go and decide to end it early, though he denies it.

The rest of us had fun though. I definitely want to give it another go. I'm a sucker for nice pieces and opportunities to attack my friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it was the plastic smell.....gulp (which i LOVE)devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.