Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo Brooks
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I have mentioned in a couple of other threads, the thing that makes the game (in it's present incarnation) better for us is to take out lair cards.

If you consider the lair cards valued 2,3, and 4 as a set, take out a set for each player less than 6. In other words, a 2 player game has just one set of lair cards, while a 4 player game would have 3. This made building lairs and stealing them way more interesting and fun.

With this variant, it's also trickier to hit that magic number of 33, so we just play that whoever has the highest score at the end is the winner. Though if you play it right and hold onto your taunt cards you can win late in the game with 3 taunts on a spy if you have scored just one other.

We found the deathtrap rule more relevant this way as well. If you play with all the lairs in a 3 player game there is absolutely no incentive to steal because everyone's lairs are huge right away.

Lastly, I think there might be some tweaking needed on the starting hand size if you take out lairs. I'll let you know.

P.S. I have seen artwork from earlier editions where the background colors for the different valued spies are different. I don't know why but I think this would have been an improvement, I would have liked to be able to visually discern the spies like that.

Like I said, my two bits...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.