Subject: Pulverizing Ray - Discard at any time or on Nemesis turn? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alvin
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, doing my first playthrough. It feels like a good back and forth with the nemesis so far!

My question, the text for Pulverizing Ray reads: "The players may collectively discard up to 6 gems. For each gem discard this way, prevent 3 of that damage."

Question 1: Do you discard at the time the Power 1 resolves (basically in the Main Phase of the Nemesis turn). Or can you discard beforehand?

Question 2: Does 6 gems refer to 6 gem cards (regardless of the value of the card) or does it consider the value of the card?

Final remarks: This seems much more punishing in a 2 player game than a 4 player game!

My assumption (and what I'm going with) is that you wait for the Power to resolve on the Nemesis turn and that it refers to cards (regardless of card value). So we're supposed to save a bunch of gems in our hands before a potential Nemesis turn.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abel Kim
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
I am a Turtle.
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Little
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct.

1. The text falls within the section after POWER, so when the last counter comes off, it resolves.

2. Gems refers to cards. Aether, or more often that symbol that looks like a white "Z" on a black circle, is the actual currency you get from playing gems. If you could discard 6 gems worth of aether, it would use that symbol. If you compare this card to Eye of Nothing, which has a TO DISCARD effect of spending 6 aether, you will see how aether and gems are referred to differently.

3. This card is definitely more challenging in 2-player games than in 4-players. However, the game is generally a little easier in 2-player than in 4-player, so there are a few cards that are there to balance this out. This card is a little more punishing at lower player counts. Similarly, the player card Radiance, which lets each ally draw a card, is better at higher player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.