Popular Tags: [View All]
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just staring our first ever play with an un-played Ariel copy we found in an opp-shop.

We've looked high and low, but can't find the port of Winchelsea? where do you put the La Trinity fleet at the start of the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see a Winchelsea on my map, either (Avalon Hill, 1976 edition). The card for the Warden of the Cinque Ports says that Le Trinity and Le George both start in Pevensey (G5), though...does that help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rood Bird
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of the many quirks of this game. Various places are mis-spelt or not indicated on the board (depending on the edition you have). So it is up to you where you choose.

Historically Winchelsea* is one of the Cinque Ports and is between Rye and Hastings. (Hastings, Sussex - not to be confused with the nobleman whose castle is in the Midlands).

So in geographical terms starting the ship in the Rye space would be most accurate. For game reasons you may prefer to use Pevensey.

Hope this helps.

RB

edit-* I think historic Winchelsea has long since been washed away by the sea which could explain why the game makers couldn't find it on a map!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

According to the counter in the AH version, Le Trinity starts in Rye.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the feedback.
We ended up popping it in Pevensey after looking for it with google maps.
~laughs~
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.