Subject: Activate crew: the "wait" concept rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Martin
Australia
flag msg tools
"you can wait until later in your action phase to active it."

For example: Public relations: Jayne.
This card has a 3 attack, and the Activate: If Simon is a main character, you get 2+ attack.

What can the "wait" concept do for me here?

Can I hit someone for 3 attack. Wait, and then call out activate, and hit someone else for 2 attack, or even 5 attack.

Or just call out activate, and hit someone for 5 attack.

I'm just not picturing this wait concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Attack points and recruit points are earned when the card or effect is triggered and spent later. So you can get a total of 5 out of playing that card. You do not need to spend the 3 for one attack and the 2 for another, you can spend any attack points that have been added to your pool so far that turn that have not yet been spent.

Here's an example that might have you wait.

Assume that Simon is currently wounded via Clobbered (1 damage), so is not considered a main character. You have earned no credits so far and have Jayne's Public Relations and Inara's Playing you From the Start a 3-Attack card that allows you to activate it to heal Crew Strike damage from each character equal to your earned Credits) in hand. There is a card in play that you can defeat for 5 attack that will earn you 1 credit.

The following is a legal play:

1: Play Public Relations, earn 3 Attack points for a total of 3.

2: Play Playing You From the Start, earn 3 Attack points for a total of 6.

3: Spend 5 Attack points (1 left) to defeat the card in play and earn a Credit.

4: Activate Playing You From the Start to heal Simon's Clobbered, making him a main character again.

5: Activate Public Relations, earn 2 Attack points for a total of 3.

6: Spend the 3 Attack points to Scan a card in the Verse.

Note that the above could not have happened unless you waited to activate Public Relations, as Simon was not a main character when you played the card. We also waited with PYFtS, as there were no Credits when it was played, but there was a Credit when we activated the card.

Hopefully that helps you see when you might want to wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Martin
Australia
flag msg tools
My man Clipper! That is one brilliant explanation.

I had no comprehension of any such depth as this in the game. I think one could miss a lot of tricks and not know it. There could literally be untold amazing situations like this materializing.

This was a double wait example. Imagine a triple or quad wait situation. That would have to be a total blow out to pull off

I can see the separation between the 3 Attack, and 2+ activate, how it is meant to be seen now. I didn't really know what to make of it before.

How long have you been playing this game or previous encounter games? That's if you don't mind me asking, or other people knowing of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my first of the Legendary games, Encounters or otherwise, actually. I got the game at its launch, but I've had a lot of experience with digesting intricate, well-designed rulesets prior to that and I love solving a good puzzle, such as finding a reason why you would want to wait to Activate Public Relations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.